cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting to my dropbox account from old to new windows laptop

connecting to my dropbox account from old to new windows laptop

Isupreme7
Explorer | Level 3

I purchased a new windows 10 machine. It came with a year free dropbox. I would like to synch it to my old laptop but the old one does not recognize my login and password. when I attempted to do a reset nothing was sent to my email. So I tried to setup a new account using the same email and it allowed me to and it is asking me to pay. how is that possible. why wont it recognize this account exist already?

5 Replies 5

Re: connecting to my dropbox account from old to new windows laptop

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Isupreme7, thanks for posting on the Community!

Could you clarify what the offer was for on the new device? 

There is a free Dropbox Basic plan, however, there are devices with promotional offers for extra quota.

Regarding the old account, when was the last time you signed into your Dropbox account on the old laptop? 

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Izzie_S
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Isupreme7,

just to further clarify - you have not yet activated the supscription on your new device, have you? 

Because then I could imgaine that it is restricted for the use only on the device the offer was connected to.

Maybe you can give us some further details about this whole deal, so we can assist you further, as Jay also requested 🙂 

Greeting, Isobel. 

Isupreme7
Explorer | Level 3

I have activated the account on the new Machine with an additional 2tb. I forget for how long. but when i try to connect my dropbox with that login and password it wouldn't recognize it. so I created a new account on the old one with the same login and password as the new machine and my only option it is giving me is to pay for 2tb or 5tb. does that make sense to you?

Isupreme7
Explorer | Level 3

I have activated the account on the new Machine with an additional 2tb. I forget for how long. but when i try to connect my dropbox with that login and password it wouldn't recognize it. so I created a new account on the old one with the same login and password as the new machine and my only option it is giving me is to pay for 2tb or 5tb. does that make sense to you? I am attempting to back up the old machine with drop box on to the new machine.

Jay
Dropboxer
Does this mean that you upgraded to a paid subscription, in order to get the 2 TB? Do you have any confirmation on an upgrade in your email?

If you created an account with the same email, then it means that the old account was either deleted or deactivated completely. 

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?