cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

crash dropbox at boot and impossible to reinstall

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello, some days ago dropbox crashes every time i logon on windows 7.

So i try to remove it from applications and i obtain an error impossible to uninstall. then i manually deleted

dropbox folders from %appdata%/local %appdata%/roaming and %programfiles%

i Needed to boot in secure mode to delete some dll from client folder under %programfiles% now i donwloaded offline dropbox installer and it gives me an error that is impossible to start dropbox installer. I have also killed firewall and antivirus but no solution

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: crash dropbox at boot and impossible to reinstall

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about this @jonray 

As I understand you're trying to perform an advanced reinstall, right?

Could you please send me a screenshot of the exact error message you get when you try to run the installer? Have you restarted your computer at all lately? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: crash dropbox at boot and impossible to reinstall

Collaborator | Level 8

I would try removing with Revo Uninstaller it's probably the case that what you did left something behind that was no good but Revo will catch that. It is free for personal use. Run Revo, select to uninstall Dropbox, then go through the uninstall (even if it crashes Revo doesn't care), then Revo will scan the registry for what was left. You can then select to delete what is left, revo will then scan for folders and again select to delete. Once this is done you should be good to reinstall.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

If all else fails I wrote this batch file in the link below. You can run that as admin and it will do the same thing Revo is going to do. I would just try Revo first becuase it will be cleaner.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ujw95znxnm4kcf/UninstallDropbox.bat?dl=0

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?