cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

desktop app for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS?

desktop app for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS?

rmilling
Explorer | Level 4

Is there a desktop app for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS?  If so, what are the proper installation steps?

I found and installed dropbox_2020.03.04_amd64.deb that results in a dropbox icon at the upper right corner of the screen.  This gives me access to my dropbox folder and a few settings, but seems quite unlike the Windows and IOS Dropbox apps.  I searched and found many dated discussions but nothing recent that spells out a straight-forward installation on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.  For instance, is there a repository to add so the installation can proceed via the Ubuntu Software app?

What am I missing?

3 Replies 3

Re: desktop app for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @rmilling, thanks for your message!

Does your Ubuntu installation meet the minimum requirements for the Dropbox desktop application?

You can add repositories using these steps.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rmilling
Explorer | Level 4
Jay, yes, my Ubuntu 20.04 LTS system meets the specified Dropbox minimum system requirements.
The component of Dropbox that I found after installation is a folder view that generally seems to function properly in that files are synced across devices, including this one. What I am not finding are any ways to manage permissions of specific files and sub folders, account details, starting and stopping the app (Dropbox folder), etc. For instance, how do I set this Linux instance of Dropbox to keep local copies of specific files for offline use, when not connected to the Internet?
It seems, instead, that most account management must be done from the web site and most local app management must be done via command line.
Other than the obvious Dropbox folder view that I already discovered, are there any other Dropbox application components that can be installed directly, without building/installing from source?

Jay
Dropboxer
Could you clarify what you mean by 'permissions of files', and where you find this on the original app?

All files should be automatically downloaded onto the machine, unless you're using selective sync to prevent entire folders from downloading.

There aren't any additional components to download, other than what you've seen on the site.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    rmilling Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?