cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

device limit and "ghost" device

device limit and "ghost" device

Explorer | Level 4

Hello there, hope someone can help me in solving this issue.
After a massive crash on my pc (one of the three devices registered to my free dropbox account) I had to reinstall the sys op (win7) and all the software from the scratch. It was fine but dropbox desktop software.
When I try to install it , an error message pops up on the screen about the number limit of the devices. For some strange reason your app still "see" somehow the old installation, but it is a sort of "ghost" device as it is not visible on the list and is impossible to uncheck it or exlude it, even from the other two devices.
So the situation now is 2 real device 1) android phone 2) apple mac desktop and the Ghost device (pc win7 crashed). So I cant add the brand new reinstalled pc. I'm stuck with this crazy situation.
It looks like dropbox has a sort of hidden files somewhere where the crashed pc still appear and is using the third slot available but it's invisible to me.
Any help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: device limit and "ghost" device

Dropboxer

Hey @marcodeangelis; thanks for joining our Community!

I'm not sure if this would do the trick, but have you tried unlinking any devices that might be putting you over your account's limit from your security tab and then reinstalling the app on your computer?

Let me know how it goes.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Dropboxer

Hey @marcodeangelis; thanks for joining our Community!

I'm not sure if this would do the trick, but have you tried unlinking any devices that might be putting you over your account's limit from your security tab and then reinstalling the app on your computer?

Let me know how it goes.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Walter, problem solved.

Cheers

Marco

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?