cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What projects do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Explorer | Level 4

Same problem here Kubuntu 18.10 (KDE/Plasma desktop).

As if dropping support for any FS other than ext4 wasn't enough to drive us away? :(

Highlighted

Re: dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey peeps, thank you all for your feedback!

I just wanted to let you know that our team have been informed and are looking into this. We’ll get back to you as soon as there’s any further update on the matter. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

That worked for me.  In case it helps, here's a list of the additional dependencies.

nautilus-dropbox

libappindicator1

libindicator7

python-gpgme

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Since the ubuntu nautilus-dropbox packaging for the 2015.10.28 release works, I tweaked the packaging files to build against the new 2018.11.08 sources with those patches that are still applicable. The same issue with the missing Dropbox menu bar icon still occurs with that build indicating that this is definitely upstream breakage.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hey, I'm experiencing the same problem in two computers which I had recently (fresh) installed Ubuntu 18.04 (no Unity). I have dropbox apt source and around a week ago there was an update of the dropbox package. Some time after the update, the tray icon disappeared but the daemon is still working and my files are being uploaded.

It's annoying because I normally pause dropbox while I'm working/compiling and now I have to do it through the terminal client.

I cannot reproduce the message by RobJohnson. I'm using dropbox 2018.11.08

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello, I'm running Ubuntu 16.04LTS and the same thing happened to me. The Dropbox service is still running and synchronizing, but the indicator is gone. This hapened after I performed a system update.

Please help

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey folks,

Sorry about the disruption! I'm looking into the issue now.

As a temporary workaround, you can install the previous package, v2015.10.28, here:

- 64-bit package

- 32-bit package

Best,

Samer

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey all,

We've fixed the issue with the dropbox nautilus package. The Linux install page on dropbox.com doesn't currently have the right package (it'll be updated in a day), but you can run the following to update to the correct and fix the tray.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dropbox
# The fix is in v2018.11.28, so the above command should
# print out this: # Setting up dropbox (2018.11.28) ... # Restart nautilus so it picks up the new package nautilus --quit # Restart Dropbox if it's running so it will create the tray # icon successfully. dropbox stop dropbox start

If you want to install the packages yourself, you can download them from these links:

- 64-bit package

- 32-bit package

Sorry again for the disruption!

Best,

Samer

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the update! It fixes the problem for me.

While we're talking about issues with the Dropbox icon & menu, I've noticed that the first time I right-click on the icon, the menu opens too low, with most of the options off the screen. The second time I open the menu, I can see all of the options. I've noticed this problem for a while now, even before the latest update.

Here's a GIF showing the glitch:

image host

It's not a major issue, but I thought I should report it. My OS is Kubuntu 18.04 (Plasma 5 desktop).

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks Samer. The update is through and problem is fixed (Ubuntu 16.04 Unity).

Elwyn

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?