cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Highlighted

dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Helpful | Level 5

My dropbox repo is set up according to the instructions at https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/linux-commands which previously installed a fully working dropbox_2015.10.28_amd64.deb under Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial. However todays update to dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce the Dropbox icon and menu in the menu bar despite restarting nautilus after the package upgrade. Only reinstalling dropbox_2015.10.28_amd64.deb and restarting nautlius restores the Dropbox icon menu bar.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey all,

We've fixed the issue with the dropbox nautilus package. The Linux install page on dropbox.com doesn't currently have the right package (it'll be updated in a day), but you can run the following to update to the correct and fix the tray.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dropbox
# The fix is in v2018.11.28, so the above command should
# print out this: # Setting up dropbox (2018.11.28) ... # Restart nautilus so it picks up the new package nautilus --quit # Restart Dropbox if it's running so it will create the tray # icon successfully. dropbox stop dropbox start

If you want to install the packages yourself, you can download them from these links:

- 64-bit package

- 32-bit package

Sorry again for the disruption!

Best,

Samer

View solution in original post

34 Replies 34
Highlighted

Re: dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Just to clarify, have you by any chance tried running a headless installation, and ensured that command in your Linux terminal is as outlined here

If you’re still having trouble with this, I’d kindly recommend moving this discussion to email, in which case I can contact you to your email address associated with your Forum profile.

Let me know of any update!

[EDIT]

Hey peeps! I moved your posts here as well, so as to keep track of your queries. Could you also please clarify what I mention above and let me know how it goes? Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I don't see any differences in files present for 'dpkg -L for the functional  dropbox_2015.10.28_amd64.deb being installed and the broken dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb. Also keep in mind that Ubuntu 16.04 is the last release running their Unity desktop rather than Gnome so it is a unique critter.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Same problem here (Ubuntu 16.04). During the update, btw, I got a pop-up message warning that Nautilus should be restarted, which I accepted.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Please do not move this conversation to email, there are others who would like to see the progress (me too).

I am (and probably everyone still using Unity) affected by this issue as well and I can add one more detail to this.

I have the "indicator-systemtray-unity" installed for the old programs that still use the old system tray and with this update the Dropbox indicator icon went to that tray.

The icon is new and it looks like it was designed for Gnome 3 in mind. On click there is a dropdown but unfortunately it is empty.

I am on Ubuntu 16.04.5 using Unity.

Maybe this new version uses a new Gnome kind of notification feature and the support for Unity indicators is "accidentally" dropped?

Thanks for looking into this by the way.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Same on Kubuntu 18.04. Empty menu after click on a tray icon.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Same problem: Running Ubuntu 18.10, 64 bit, Gnome / Please Solution @lusil

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Any solution?? I have the same problem in 18.10 icon tray dissapear. Please Solution

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

In case it helps, I got this on Ubuntu 14.04 after "dropbox update" and trying to restart nautilus.

rob@HPAIO:~$ nautilus
Initializing nautilus-dropbox 2018.11.08

** (nautilus:4749): CRITICAL **: nautilus_menu_provider_get_background_items: assertion 'NAUTILUS_IS_MENU_PROVIDER (provider)' failed

** (nautilus:4749): CRITICAL **: nautilus_menu_provider_get_background_items: assertion 'NAUTILUS_IS_MENU_PROVIDER (provider)' failed

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I can confirm the missing icon problem on Ubuntu 16.04.5 and Ubuntu 18.10. Uninstalling the `dropbox` package from the Dropbox PPA and installing `nautilus-dropbox` from the official Ubuntu repos (2015.10.2 solved the problem in both cases (I had to log out and log back in).

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?