cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Highlighted

Re: dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Helpful | Level 6

This update has fixed the problem in my two computers. Thanks!

Highlighted

Re: dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Explorer | Level 4

Fixed on KDE Plasma 5(.14.4) for me as well.

I also see the first-menu-too-low as mentioned by mrbumpy409 above, by the way.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Field
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

The problem is eliminated here on Ubuntu Xenial with the 2018.11.28 release.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the report, I'll take a look (if I can get KDE working in my vm, that is...). We only "officially" support the default desktop environments that ship with Ubuntu and Fedora, so I can't promise when we'll fix it.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for looking into it, Samer!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the fix. It works now.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

The fix does not work for me in 18.10.

$ sudo apt install dropbox
Reading package lists...
Done Building dependency tree
Reading state information...
Done dropbox is already the newest version (2018.11.28 )
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

@bandtank I just tried installing Dropbox in a new 18.10 vm and the icon showed up. Is there anything special about your environment?

@mrbumpy409 For some reason, I wasn't able to reproduce that issue on Kubuntu 18.04. We only create the menu when you click the icon, so there may be a race between the "status notifier" plugin showing the Dropbox menu and Dropbox creating the menu.

I changed how the Dropbox menu is created slightly in the latest beta (now it's created at least once on start up), which may help a little bit, though I don't think it'll solve the whole issue. If you want to try it out, you can download it from this page: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-64-3-121/m-p/317546

To install it, untar the tarball in your home directory (it will overwrite the files in ~/.dropbox-dist).

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

@samertm: Well, things have improved somewhat with the latest beta. Now, instead of only seeing the topmost menu item the first time the menu is created, I can see the top five items (ending with "Get More Space").

Thanks for trying to fix this

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?