cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Highlighted

Re: dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Helpful | Level 7

No, there is nothing special and it worked for a while until I rebooted. I just restored a VM image and it worked for a while and then didn't without my intervention. I'm seeing tons of posts on SO about this with no solutions that actually work in 18.10. It's running because the service responds and syncs, but there is no icon and nothing I've done has changed that behavior.

The lack of linux support is so freaking frustrating.

Highlighted

Re: dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

@mrbumpy409 Happy to help! A "full" fix on our end is possible, but would require hunting down some memory leaks, so I can't promise when we'll be able to do it. If someone were to update the KDE notifications tray to update the tray menu's dimensions if the menu items change, that would also fix the issue.

@bandtank I just took a look at your logs from yesterday when you were seeing the issue, and it looks like the icon is being set up correctly, which is weird. I'll keep an Ubuntu 18.10 vm idle running with Dropbox to see if I can reproduce the problem. The next time you hit the issue, can you send me an email so I can try to debug it with you? My email is samer@dropbox.com.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

@samertm: I have filed a KDE bug report for the menu dimensions here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=402392

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

@mrbumpy409 Thanks! Just replied on that bug report.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

From KDE Bug 402392 :

As @samertm wrote, this issue is caused by late initialization of menu in Dropbox. When user clicks on the icon, then "AboutToShow" signal is send to Dropbox. Due to asynchronous nature of this calls, there is indeed a race condition. KDE renders the menu with old state, at the same time Dropbox is adding new items to the menu.

Menu is positioned using top-left corner. When new items are added, menu simply grows t the bottom. On KDE it is a problem, because by default panel is placed on the bottom of the screen. On Ubuntu (or any other desktop with icons on the top) it is less of a problem, because menu has space to grow.

Everything is fine until now, this is quite common use case. There problem is on Dropbox side, it should return true if AboutToShow event should result in the menu being updated:

Spec:
DBusMenu/com.canonical.dbusmenu.xml 

Dump of method call:

method call time=1571407985.253788 sender=:1.26 -> destination=:1.137 serial=1047 path=/org/ayatana/NotificationItem/dropbox_client_12927/Menu; > interface=com.canonical.dbusmenu; member=AboutToShow
   int32 0

method return time=1571407985.268242 sender=:1.137 -> destination=:1.26 serial=20 reply_serial=1047
  boolean false

It returns false, so KDE does not expect LayoutUpdated and does not wait for it.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?