cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox continually starts / keeps syncing over 10,000 files....

dropbox continually starts / keeps syncing over 10,000 files....

joelafferty
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, i travel a lot and my macbook pro keeps resyncing 10,000+ files, and over dodgy hotel wifi this grinds my workflow to a halt... 

very, very frustraing

it seems to be my kindle calibre libraray - which has a setting on my imac in the office to update from another folder using Tri-Backup to which I add books i purchase about once a week or so. the files don't change, just adds one or two books. 

to try and fix, i changd the whole folder in miy macbook pro to be offline (not on HD) using selective sync but to no avail. 

i've tried reseting hard links & permissions as per other forum post but it dosen't help....

screenshot 

5 Replies 5

Re: dropbox continually starts / keeps syncing over 10,000 files....

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @joelafferty, thanks for checking in with us and awesome work on the troubleshooting! It definitely helps us narrow down our investigation. 

From what I understand, you're using a third party app to store data in your Dropbox folder or desktop app.

Could you try temporarily disabling or closing it (or any other third party app that interacts with the desktop app) to see if the issue persists?

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

joelafferty
Explorer | Level 3

thanks for fast response.

i'm not using the app to store data - the TriBackup app simply copies over new files from one dropbox folder to the other. i've been running this app for years and never had a problem wiht dropbox before. 

i have dropbox on my ipad / iphone and there seems to be no problem wiht this - nor is there a problem with the imac itself. 

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @joelafferty

I understand that this has been working for some time now, however, just for troubleshooting purposes, could you give it a try?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

joelafferty
Explorer | Level 3

I got in touch with Tri-Backup and they suggested I run a test on the folders - sent to copy from one to the other - which I did as you can see attached link for the screenshot. the programme has no changes to the files - yet the dropbox on my macbook pro continues to sync over 10,000 files!!! 

I need these files to back up to dropbox so switching off is not an option. 

help?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @joelafferty

I've followed up with a ticket to have a better look into this matter together.

When you get the chance, check your inbox and we'll take it from there. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?