cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox.exe internal(sourcecode) had been changed?

dropbox.exe internal(sourcecode) had been changed?

kmz_db
Helpful | Level 6

I always confront privilege error while booting up dropbox.exe since I've received ver.52.

I tried unistalling,offline-installer(ver.53 also),icacls changing, but nothing happens.

Today,I noticed Windows10-VM(VMware) had dropbox installed,it worked properly and confirmed that this error is caused by my deleting "recent" folder.

"recent" = "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent"

I hate folder selecting dialog to display "recent", so I always delete "recent" folder forcibly and remove registry which indicates to this folder.

Restoring to ver.51, works perfectly with no error, but instantly dropbox updates itself and I have to see the error above, therefore, I installed ver.51, quit quickly, delete dropbox\update folder and restart dropbox ver.51.

And I now have a question. 

Dropbox from ver.52 internal structure had been changed?

Why did dropbox.exe become to need "recent" folder? Is it necessary?

Please rewind dropbox-app with no need "recent" folder like ver.51 if possible.

Sorry for my poor English.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: dropbox.exe internal(sourcecode) had been changed?

kmz_db
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, Jay and this community members!

I declare this problem is solved by using newest version(57.4.89)!

From Ver.52 to Ver.56, I confirmed this matter was not solved, and disappointed…but today, I jumped for joy!

Thank you for this big Halloween present!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, this shouldn’t really affect the Dropbox app in my opinion, so we need to look elsewhere.

Could you let me know the exact error message that pops up? If there’s an error log, even better!

Thanks in advance.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kmz_db
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, Jay, thanks for quick response.

Everytime I have this error message(Japanese) below.

By the way, how can I attach the log files?

error.jpg

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the image, it looks like the issue here is that the Dropbox folder is located on a network drive, which isn’t currently supported.

The folder would need to be on an attached hard drive, either internal or external, though we do recommend using internal to avoid potential data loss.

Since you mentioned you’re using a virtual machine for Windows 10, is it possible that this is why it’s detected as a network drive?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kmz_db
Helpful | Level 6

@Jay さんは書きました:
Thanks for the image, it looks like the issue here is that the Dropbox folder is located on a network drive, which isn’t currently supported.

The folder would need to be on an attached hard drive, either internal or external, though we do recommend using internal to avoid potential data loss.

Since you mentioned you’re using a virtual machine for Windows 10, is it possible that this is why it’s detected as a network drive?

Nope, of course, I always set Dropbox folder to a local drive(ex.C:\Dropbox).

I think it has nothing to do with a network drive.

All I want to say that Dropbox-app from ver.52 do "not" work properly with the drive which don't have "recent" folder, then revive "recent" folder and its relative registry, works perfectly even using ver.52 or ver.53.

I just used VM as a example on the previous post , but it's very easy to reproduce/duplicate this symptom, what kind of OSes(Win7,8.1 and10), drives(physical or virtual), and hardwares(vendors).

Only you should do is to delete "recent" folder using "rm /s" command and relative registry,

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Recent]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Recent]

and vice versa...it's very easy to fix the problem, revive "recent" folder and regisry entries above.

no need to revive with ver.51 but from ver.52 blah blah...

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the info, we’ve forwarded this info to our dev team to look into this matter further.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

kmz_db
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, Jay and this community members!

I declare this problem is solved by using newest version(57.4.89)!

From Ver.52 to Ver.56, I confirmed this matter was not solved, and disappointed…but today, I jumped for joy!

Thank you for this big Halloween present!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kmz_db Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?