cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: dropbox keeps stopping on linux

dropbox keeps stopping on linux

WGMitchener
Explorer | Level 4

I use dropbox on linux (Fedora, up to date). I've installed it using the package files from dropbox.com. But the dropbox sync daemon keeps stopping. It'll run fine for a while, sometimes even several days. Then it just stops. No error messages anywhere, no core dump, it just stops, client daemon exits, that's it. I'm not sure whether it crashes and is killed by the OS or detects something it doesn't like and just exits.

I can start it up again and it'll work again fine, for a while.

I see the same behavior on several machines, all running Fedora linux.

So I contacted dropbox support, and they asked me to do the usual things, uninstall, reinstall, try with a fresh account on the linux machine, etc. None of that helped. It still keeps stopping unpredictably.

I've searched all over the place and haven't found anyone else posting about this problem.

So, got to ask: Am I really the only person on the planet who sees this happen? Has anyone else seen dropbox on linux just halt? figured out why?

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @WGMitchener, thanks for joining the Community!

The Dropbox desktop application could quit unexpectedly for various reasons.

As you're already in contact with the support team, they would be better placed to assist you further in more detail.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@WGMitchener wrote:

... But the dropbox sync daemon keeps stopping. It'll run fine for a while, sometimes even several days. Then it just stops. No error messages anywhere, no core dump, it just stops, client daemon exits, that's it. ...

Hi @WGMitchener,

Unfortunately, Dropbox application doesn't provide readable log, so it's very difficult to trace what's going on in a situation like yours. Core dump is very unlikely to be produced, cause Python interpreter catches almost everything and in the worst case will produce some cutted temporary file with log information, but almost never core dump. Core dump would mean bug in the interpreter - very unlikely. Troubles are almost always in the interpreted code itself or other called from there.

The last time I restarted my application was weeks ago; I haven't seen such effect. It works still.

The only readable runtime information could be collected from standard error output of the application (standard output stream is redirected, because of the daemonization). Try start the application anew in a terminal window (shell) and don't close terminal; let it stay open - minimized for example. When application closes unintentionally, take a look there (in terminal). May be there will come up some information what's going on. Check at least.

Good luck.

WGMitchener
Explorer | Level 4

I've been in contact with their support team multiple times over many months. I've offered to help troubleshoot. They seem uninterested.

WGMitchener
Explorer | Level 4

No messages on the terminal either.

Здравко

@WGMitchener wrote:

No messages on the terminal either.

Hi @WGMitchener,

If nothing on the terminal, you are doing something wrong, definitely. There should be least list of loaded libraries, at the beginning (and other startup info). Are you sure, the application gets run anew in terminal and you didn't close it at some moment?! 🧐 If the terminal gets closed, output can't be easy redirected to other one! 🤷 In such a case, you are simply losing the info and should start anew, if you want to.

Be careful. 😉

WGMitchener
Explorer | Level 4

I meant that when I run `dropbox start` in a terminal, I do get a bunch of messages about it starting up. But then it goes to the background, and I never see any further message.

Здравко

@WGMitchener wrote:

..., I do get a bunch of messages about it starting up. But then it goes to the background, and I never see any further message.

Hmm.. I see. The last message on startup should be logging that "PyQt5.QtDBus.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so" is loaded up. Despite the application "goes to the background", it's still connected to the terminal. Missing of any further message means that Dropbox application can't detect anything unusual. 🙁 Unfortunately, I don't know another tracing way, provided by Dropbox.

I can't say more. Probably reason is something usual in meantime that you're ignoring, by the way.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?