cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Our Community can help you set up and make Dropbox work for you. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

dropbox linux selective sync dialog window is broken, way too wide

Helpful | Level 5

I'm using Cinnamon desktop on Ubuntu 17.10. 

The Dropbox tray icon works well, except that when I choose either of the two dialogs on the Sync tab, the window which opens is very wide, much wider than my montors. There is no contents in the windows. I have to close it by right clicking on the title bar. the Resize option in the window menu does nothing. 

Since this means I can't access Selective Sync... this is a big problem. 

It didn't happen in xfce/xubuntu. I created a new account to force a clean install, and it had the same problem. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: dropbox linux selective sync dialog window is broken, way too wide

Helpful | Level 5
I found the problem.
the cinnamon desktop environment sets an environment variable
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk
but this is an obsolete setting. It should be gtk2
or you can just remove the environment variable
unset QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE
when starting dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @timatgca, welcome to our community! 

I’m not a Linux user so let’s see what we’re working with, and then I’ll see what I can find out. 

You mention that the window opens wider than your monitors. Are you using multiple monitors, and extending your desktop across them? If so, can you try disconnecting one monitor, and see what the result is? 

Can you use Ubuntu’s default desktop environment (sans Cinnamon), and see what the result is? 

Of course, I must ask the obvious: are you using our latest stable app 42.4.114, and is your OS fully updated, especially the graphics drivers? 

Let me know, and we’ll go from there. 

Thanks! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Sanchez,

I am using the latest stable version v42.4.114. I manually updated it; the previous stable version has the same problem.

The operating system is fully updated, including the nvidia drivers. 

It is something to do with the desktop I am using (Cinnamon). It doesn't happen if I am using xubuntu on the same computer. 

The window is incredibly wide, probably about 10 screen widths, it uses some maximum value I guess. The problem is the same if I am using multiple monitors or just the laptop on its own. 

Also, the window resize option only lets me resize the window height. 

If I start dropbox from the console, I get this output:

tim@raffles:~$ dropbox start -i
Starting Dropbox...dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-gjOuMf
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: running python 2.7.11
dropbox: setting program path '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/dropbox'
dropbox: setting home path '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114:/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/python-packages-27.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running main script
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/psutil._psutil_linux.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/psutil._psutil_posix.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/linuxffi.pthread._linuxffi_pthread.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/tornado.speedups.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/cpuid.compiled._cpuid.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/linuxffi.resolv.compiled._linuxffi_resolv.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/posixffi.libc._posixffi_libc.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/librsyncffi.compiled._librsyncffi.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/linuxffi.sys.compiled._linuxffi_sys.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/PyQt5.QtWebKit.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/PyQt5.QtCore.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/PyQt5.QtNetwork.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/PyQt5.QtGui.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/PyQt5.QtWebKitWidgets.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/PyQt5.QtWidgets.so'
Dropbox isn't running!
Done!
tim@raffles:~$ dropbox: load fq extension '/home/tim/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-42.4.114/PyQt5.QtPrintSupport.so'

... and now I open the preferences from the system tray:

(dropbox:16472): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_style_get: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(dropbox:16472): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_style_get: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(this is repeated many times) 

the preference windows actually works fine, until I open either dialog on the Sync tab.

There are no further error messages in the console. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
I found the problem.
the cinnamon desktop environment sets an environment variable
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk
but this is an obsolete setting. It should be gtk2
or you can just remove the environment variable
unset QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE
when starting dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
@timatgca, thanks for getting back to me. Just to be sure here, have you solved the issue by adjusting this variable’s settings (or removing it)? 

Have a great weekend

Sanchez

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Sanchez, yes, this problem is solved.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'll pass this onto Señor Sanchez.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Need more support?