cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox operating system vs internet

dropbox operating system vs internet

tom1017
New member | Level 2

Hello all. I am in a pickle and need to figure something out quickly.  I work in two offices and travel back and forth.  The office is operating with Dropbox hardwired to desktops and a 'server'. 5 people access it uniformly and seamless.

I have aMac laptop currenetly and access Dropbox thru the internet. 

My files, folders, look, operating input is totally different than the 'server'. Therefore i always use  my folders and files on Mac and then transfer them into Dropbox

I need to get onto the office server at all times, but travel back and forth. A laptop is ideal. Researching this, I am finding that if somehow i can hardwire into a laptop in the office and home I will have the same operating system and can input directly with all. 

I am looking into Mini Lenovo desktops for ease and light travel, but i dont think I need that. Can someone please share some experience and insight as to what pieces of equipment and software (if any) i need.

I am not very savvy with this at all and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank yothe left pic is the office system and the right pic is my laptop on Internetthe left pic is the office system and the right pic is my laptop on Internet

8 Replies 8

Re: dropbox operating system vs internet

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @tom1017,

First of all are You sure that account You access throughout the web browser is the same one used in the office? If difference is only how they looks like - this is normal. If content is different, are all files in sync while You access the account in web browser? If lot of files are just added, could be need some time for full sync. Take care when You add particular file through different interfaces - this could lead to conflicted copies!

Hope for now there are enough 'hooks', You can investigate on. :wink:

Здравко

Last but not least, why You don't use Dropbox application on Your machine, instead of web browser?!

tom1017
New member | Level 2

Hi Thats (one) of my problems.....i cant find, see, load Dropbox app for this machine. Or a PC for that matter. We all have looked and it does not find it. 

We downloaded again and looked for 'select sync' but it does not open for the app even.

The account access thru the web is...the office system. We know this, we do have one guy in the office who is pretty tech aware. I upload to their system occassionally and it works.

They just look and function totally different and it is difficult to tranfer my files on my Mac over to their system. 

Their system uploads and syncs 24 / 7. 

Thanks, Tom any other insight is helpful. 

Здравко

I'm not pretty sure what really You ask me for. First about differences in Your picture, did You ensure that the same account is in use? The left picture in Your view definitely isn't web browser :open_mouth:. About installing the Dropbox application - did You follow these instructions step by step?

tom1017
New member | Level 2

Sorry, to be clear. When I am at the office, I want to be in their server system. I am on the Internet Dropbox web browser. If I hard wire / connect / plug a line to my laptop, any laptop, will that connect me to their server? Do I need any software other than Dropbox which i have installed and using?

And if at home can i do the same thing; plug in / connect/ hard wire to my Router.....and be on their server, not the Internet?

I am not good at this at all, hard for me to explain. Thanks for the help. Tom

Здравко

Hmm.. I understand that it's difficult to You... I have to admit, I'm not pretty in 'sync' now.

I'm not sure we are talking for the same things. What You mean server? Do You have some data server in Your office which play as Dropbox 'center place' or You just mean the network router in Your office? And finally - do You have Dropbox installed or not?

About connection between Your machine, that running Dropbox, and the Dropbox services: The important thing is live network connection to exist, so sync process to go. Doesn't matter which kind of connection You use. Could be wired, wireless (WiFi or mobile), optic or whatever else.

If You have installed and properly running Dropbox application then You can read and write any file/folder inside the Dropbox directory (like any other directory). The content of the Dropbox directory continualy sync the content to the service account content. That's it.

tom1017
New member | Level 2

Hi, yes they use Dropbox as their 'data server'. I have Dropbox installed on this Mac.........it is really not a 'data server' but a group Dropbox access by 5 people who use this Dropbox account for everything. I am now part of the group and 6. 

I access their 'data server' / group Dropbox account thru the Internet, because I am using a laptop, not a desktop. And all the desktops are wired by a cable.

If i connect my laptop by cable from their modum, router will I get the same thing as they have? Even with a Mac, not  PC? And not what the Internet Dropbox works like?

Здравко

Sorry Tom, probably I'm not pretty clear im my explanation. To work Dropbox always use Internet! If You can open any web page (doesn't matter if your laptop or desktop is connected through wire or not) then You have access to Internet. I don't know what You imagine when You say internet, but seems have to clarify what this mean :wink:.

If You are not restricted in some way for network connections in Your office, Yes, You can. You can receive network connection and consequently working Dropbox.

About the 'same thing' (if You mean same content) - again, You have to ensure that all participant of the team have same account and same access to. If everything is fine then You have to get the 'same thing' (either in office or outside).

At time when You lost Internet connection You can still work on Your files, but they will go in sync after You get connection.

Hope this clarify the matter little bit.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?