Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

dropbox the only save option, try save anywhere else I get: "The file “Desktop” couldn’t be opened."

Explorer | Level 4

dropbox the "only" save option, try save anywhere else I get: "The file “enter filename” couldn’t be opened." seems my saves have been railroaded to dropbox. What setting has changed, with Catalina maybe?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: dropbox the only save option, try save anywhere else I get: "The file “Desktop” couldn’t be

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @matthew6!

If the app is closed or uninstalled, then it would point to the issue being caused by the OS system settings. 

Since the Dropbox folder settings are managed by the desktop app, this might be why this folder can be edited/saved to while the OS folders don't have the correct permissions.

Just out of curiosity did you restart your device after carrying out the steps from Apple to fix the permissions?

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: dropbox the only save option, try save anywhere else I get: "The file “Desktop” couldn’t be

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @matthew6, thanks for reaching out to us here!

So that we can try isolate the issue, can you close the desktop app and try saving content the same way as before? You can close the app by:

1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Quit Dropbox".

Could you also send me a screenshot of the error message that you're getting?

It sounds like the issue might be due to permissions on your folders, which Dropbox can't change, so the screenshot will be helpful to see if the error is given by the OS or Dropbox.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

thanks for your reply Daphne,

have quit dropbox via the prescribed method. (had previously deleted dropbox also with no effect on this saving debacle) have gone through the apple support "reset permissions" as detailed here https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT203538 

which hasn't helped because the screenshot of the attempted saved file was taken after the process ran its course successfully... still am forced to save to dropbox.

demo file save fail for Daphne.jpg

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

hilariously the above screenshot was saved with dropbox.... the only option for saving 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @matthew6!

If the app is closed or uninstalled, then it would point to the issue being caused by the OS system settings. 

Since the Dropbox folder settings are managed by the desktop app, this might be why this folder can be edited/saved to while the OS folders don't have the correct permissions.

Just out of curiosity did you restart your device after carrying out the steps from Apple to fix the permissions?

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Nice one Daphne, yes, a restart appears to have resolved the issue, thanks kindly!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Ah... few hours later the fault has returned. Can save just in dropbox

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Ahaaaa......Found if i switch off the setting in iCloud for Dropbox the issue seems to resolve! happy days 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm very glad to hear that @matthew6!

Thanks for getting back to me here too to let me know what resolved the issue, I'm sure that this will be helpful for others who might have the same problem.

Don't hesitate to get back to me here if there's anything else that I can assist with. I'd be more than happy to help.

I hope you have a great start to the week - cheers!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?