cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox was touted as a top 10 backup solution so I just spent $99 to upgrade to pro for this purpose, how can I back up my c drive?

dropbox was touted as a top 10 backup solution so I just spent $99 to upgrade to pro for this purpose, how can I back up my c drive?

Gary W.12
New member | Level 1

5 Replies 5

Re: dropbox was touted as a top 10 backup solution so I just spent $99 to upgrade to pro for this purpose, how can I back up my c drive?

Dave C.5
New member | Level 2

Dropbox isn't a backup solution at all, unless you purchase the extended version history.

Then it only functions as a solution for those files that are placed into the dropbox folder.

Should the file be erased the DB servers will then be maintaining a version history of the files for 12 months.

Alternatively you can use a simple backup software (many free) that can backup your whole C: to a file and store that file into the Dropbox folder, even erasing it after upload, as previously said, since the version history of the file will be maintained for 12 months the erased backup file can simply be restored from deleted state, downloaded and used to restore the system.

However DB has no native drive backup functions.

Re: dropbox was touted as a top 10 backup solution so I just spent $99 to upgrade to pro for this purpose, how can I back up my c drive?

Roger M.16
New member | Level 1

I feel your pain Gary, I made the same mistake.

The solution? You need to plan your own backup solution using Dropbox merely as a tool.

That is where I went wrong, I relied on Dropbox as the solution, which, of course, it is not a backup solution on its own.

What I do now is I store a remote GFS backup of my Dropbox database to avoid issues with faulty devices which are at risk of corrupting the entire Dropbox data base without prior warning. Trust me, when an event like that happens it is more aggravating than multiple root canal treatment..

Good luck

Gary W.12
New member | Level 1

Okay, thank you both for taking the time to comment and help.

SwanCobb
Collaborator | Level 10

At least Windows 7, 8, 10 (and possibly others) have a Windows Backup & Restore. If you have a DVD writer, you can create a system restore image. Then you can create a system image that you backup to an external drive. If your C drive is destroyed, you can restore from the system image using the DVD and the external drive. You can make incremental backup of files after the initial system image to get you back to your last backup point. It is bit of a process but works.

Microsoft is rumored to working on OneDrive to be a cloud based backup of the entire C drive. The closest comparison would be a iCloud backup of an iPad or iPhone. Or Acronis TrueImage image backup.

Dropbox has its role, but it is not a great tool for disaster recovery, but can be used after you get your operating system up and running to restore your documents. You'd likely want to do selective sync to prioritize which folders you'd want synced back. If you have ransomware problems... that is going to be a big pain in the ass to restore using Dropbox since their restore is for files and not folders. Again, you're better off with Windows System Protection where it creates point in time snapshots of folders so you can easily restore folders.

Alexis G.1
Super User

@Gary:

Dropbox is not a backup tool. It's a sync tool. Work as a backup? Yes... but from some point of view. For example:

You have a Dropbox folder with 200GB of photos, 200GB of music, 200GB of docs. In this scenario, if you laptop is stolen, you purchase a new laptop, setup dropbox and you recover your 600GB of data: Restore operation success.

The same if your hard drive is damaged. If you wake up today and found your HDD or SSD is damaged, no problem. Install a new HDD/SSD, install the OS and apps. Install Dropbox and restore your 600GB of data. Restore operation success.

But for backup, you need to consider the following:

If you have doc1, doc2 and doc3 in Dropbox and you replace doc2, let's say you want to recover the old doc2 file. You can restore the old doc2 from Dropbox website if you do it in less than 30 days. If you want to recover the old version 3 months later, you are lost.

You can purchase extended version history, but even in this way, Dropbox is not a backup solution.

You can backup your complete C drive in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 by using the built-in backup and restore tool in Windows OS.

Another tip: you can download Macrium Reflect to backup your entire C drive to an external HDD.

And remember to backup and backup your data in different media (hdd, dvd, bluray, Dropbox) because with todays ramsomware malware, all your data can be lost in a second.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Alexis G.1 Super User
    SwanCobb Collaborator | Level 10
    Gary W.12 New member | Level 1
    Roger M.16 New member | Level 1
    Dave C.5 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?