cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox won't pick up new device name after unlinking

dropbox won't pick up new device name after unlinking

Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

I made a fresh install of Macos Big Sur then I migrated the old users with migration assistant.

As a result, the machine changed name and dropbox picked up the new name as "Admin's iMac" which is not the same device that was linked to Dropbox.

Then I went to dropbox.com and unlinked the device from my account, unistalled Dropbox, changed the machine name to the new name, but for some reason after re-installing Dropbox app, it keeps linking it as "Admin's iMac".

I am wondering if dropbox app is fetching the name from some static file left over somewhere because in the System Preferences/Sharing pane my computer is no longer Admin's iMac.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you.

Flavio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: dropbox won't pick up new device name after unlinking

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for your reply, Walter.

Unfortunately I cannot proceed as suggested because the iMac became so unstable that I had to restore macos Catalina in order to get it to work again.

Funnily enough though Dropbox, that was restored as well, initially didn't recognize the machine even if the name was the same, so I simply unlinked the old entry and linked the new one, thereafter it took a while to sync everything, but in the end it started working normally again.

Cheers,

Flavio

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dropboxer

Hey @byte64; welcome to our Community!

Could you try a clean, advanced reinstall and let me know how it goes? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for your reply, Walter.

Unfortunately I cannot proceed as suggested because the iMac became so unstable that I had to restore macos Catalina in order to get it to work again.

Funnily enough though Dropbox, that was restored as well, initially didn't recognize the machine even if the name was the same, so I simply unlinked the old entry and linked the new one, thereafter it took a while to sync everything, but in the end it started working normally again.

Cheers,

Flavio

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

I havd a similar problem. I have a basic account with 2 devices (Macs). I am trying to activate a third device using the mobile app on my iPad Pro but it won't let me do it unless a subscribe to a monthly charge. I have a basic account that should allow 3 devices. I don't need a subscription.

Dropboxer

In that case, could you remove any connected devices that might be putting you over your account's limit and try installing it on the iPad again @cachiap?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?