cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox wont start, uninstall nor install

dropbox wont start, uninstall nor install

cosmict
Explorer | Level 4

Suddenly my Dropbox did not want to start. Computer restart didn't help. I then tried to reinstall but it also won't uninstall. I tried offline instalation - didn't help. I killed all the processes, run uninstall as admin but still it fails to uninstall.

I have no clue what to do next? Tried everything I know and  people here suggested. Running Win10.

Any help is appreciated!

Tijana

17 Replies 17

Re: dropbox wont start, uninstall nor install

Chris_J
Super User

Hello cosmict

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Dropbox Community

Try these steps:

1. Open Windows File Explorer.

2. Copy and paste “%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%” into the address bar, then press Enter.

3. In “Program Files”, open the “Dropbox” folder, then open the “Client” folder.

4. In “Client”, you’ll see a file named DropboxUninstaller.exe. Double-click this file to run the uninstaller.

I hope this helps   Let us know if it did or not.  If you were successful uninstall, then simply download the Dropbox client again and install it.  Make sure it sets the location of the Dropbox folder that you previously had (if it's different from the default location).

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

cosmict
Explorer | Level 4

Did this already since it was mentioned as a potential solution in one of the previous posts. Nada.

Just to be sure I tried it once more and again it didn't work.

Chris_J
Super User

okay, have you tried to unlink your dropbox account from the web interface?

See this article to see if anything you want to try:  https://windowsreport.com/dropbox-failed-to-uninstall/ 

Hopes this helps

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

cosmict
Explorer | Level 4

Ok so I unlinked dropbox from this computer, followed instructions (deleted, restarted), tried again to uninstal but failed again. Then I tried install and it looked as though it will work cause I god the dropbox icon in the tray and it said syncing...But is is stuck on syncing and I got the message "you are using old version of dropbox please update". So I tried to update but it said installataler encountered failed error 2...

Chris_J
Super User

are you able to quit Dropbox Client?  maybe because of it being busy.  So try quitting Dropbox and try again

cosmict
Explorer | Level 4

Did that the first time but tried again now and same thing. I quit client, I killed all background dropbox processes from task managere. Run instal, same errors: first says old version then says installer error 2.

Chris_J
Super User
How did you get the installer? It sounds like a wing installer

cosmict
Explorer | Level 4

I don't know what you mean by wing installer but I got it from Dropbox page. That was an online installer but then when it didn't work I got the offline installer that someone in this forum gave link to. Also the last time when it looked as though it is going to work when it said that I should update I just followed the link that this notification gave for the update.

If you have any other installer that you think will work I will give it a try.

Chris_J
Super User

I did a Google search of the error and oh boy, it seems a common problem some years ago.  http://bit.ly/3sLRwze 

Heres one of the Forum thread with error 2 https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Error-2-when-installing/td-p/266948 

it mostly points to doing a Advanced reinstall.  Which I believe you said you did but there's may be some other things you can do.  Look thru that Thread and I will keep digging. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jAjh57LT3s 

Meanwhile, why don't you get a Support Ticket sent.  https://www.dropbox.com/support/email 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cosmict Explorer | Level 4
    Chris_J Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?