cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

edit xlsx on dropbox

edit xlsx on dropbox

New member | Level 2

HI, I would be very gratefull for help. I have an excel file on dropbox that I edit al the time from my pc and android phone. With the latest update (27.3.2019) I can open the excel from dropbox, edit the file, but the "save" does not work – the only option is to save on the device, not on dropbox. Is there a solution for this problem? Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: edit xlsx on dropbox

Dropboxer

Hey there @aucina, how are you today?

First off, there are two ways you can edit your Office documents in your Dropbox using the Microsoft Office apps:

1) While viewing a Microsoft Office file within the Dropbox mobile app, you should see a new edit button that allows you to open your file directly in the appropriate Microsoft Office app for editing.
2) From the Microsoft Office app, you can connect your Dropbox in the Account tab and access your files directly from there.

Once you've finished your edits, you'll be able to save the file back to your Dropbox. If you don't already have the latest versions of the Dropbox and Office apps installed on your mobile device, please follow the steps in this help center article to get started:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/edit-microsoft-office-files-mobile

As you know, you can download the mobile Microsoft Office apps for free from the Google Play Store (Android). Dropbox Basic, Plus, and Professional accounts can edit for free, however you'll be asked to sign in with a Microsoft account.

On Android devices, you'll be able to edit without signing in for some time, but eventually a Microsoft login will be required while Dropbox Business accounts will need an Office 365 (Business, Business Premium, ProPlus, E3 or E4) subscription in order to edit files.

A Microsoft login is also required when opening the Office apps directly to access your Dropbox files there.

I hope this information helps to some extent and please let me know what you find. 

PS: If you're still having issues with this please forward a screenshot along with your response so I can get a better understanding of the matter at hand. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer

Hey there @aucina, how are you today?

First off, there are two ways you can edit your Office documents in your Dropbox using the Microsoft Office apps:

1) While viewing a Microsoft Office file within the Dropbox mobile app, you should see a new edit button that allows you to open your file directly in the appropriate Microsoft Office app for editing.
2) From the Microsoft Office app, you can connect your Dropbox in the Account tab and access your files directly from there.

Once you've finished your edits, you'll be able to save the file back to your Dropbox. If you don't already have the latest versions of the Dropbox and Office apps installed on your mobile device, please follow the steps in this help center article to get started:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/edit-microsoft-office-files-mobile

As you know, you can download the mobile Microsoft Office apps for free from the Google Play Store (Android). Dropbox Basic, Plus, and Professional accounts can edit for free, however you'll be asked to sign in with a Microsoft account.

On Android devices, you'll be able to edit without signing in for some time, but eventually a Microsoft login will be required while Dropbox Business accounts will need an Office 365 (Business, Business Premium, ProPlus, E3 or E4) subscription in order to edit files.

A Microsoft login is also required when opening the Office apps directly to access your Dropbox files there.

I hope this information helps to some extent and please let me know what you find. 

PS: If you're still having issues with this please forward a screenshot along with your response so I can get a better understanding of the matter at hand. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Hi, thanks a lot for the fast reply – I was using thinkfree office, and to try to fix the issue after dropbox was updated, I wanted to use some other aps for xlsx files.

I managed to edit and save the file using the method in your reply, so thanks, it seems I have to switch to the Excel app to continue my work.

Thanks again for the help.

Dropboxer

Glad I could help @aucina!

Should you ever come up with a Dropbox question or issue, you know where to find us - we're always a post away 

Until then, have a lovely day/night ahead!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?