Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

ex & i split & i have been left with dropbox on my computer. Upgraded on phone but not on computer

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have recently split with my ex and we had a drop box account.  I tried to upload pics just now from my phone to computer but it said out of space, so after 3 months the ex isn't sharing it anymore.  That's fine, I upgraded the dropbox on my phone and it still is uploading them to my computer but does that mean it is still under our shared dropbox as I'd hate to have my new stuff shared with him at this point in time and I need control of the account now I am paying for it.

How do I make it my accound only and how do I use my dropbox app on my phone to make it the same account on my computer app?  I am legally blonde and useless at this type of stuff.  Please help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: ex & i split & i have been left with dropbox on my computer. Upgraded on phone but not

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey again, @kirsty123

OK, so if you have a new Dropbox account, with a different email address as your login…

1. On your phone, open our app, and go into the settings:
    1. on iPhone, tap the person icon (account) at the bottom, then Sign out from this Dropbox
    2. on Android, tap the ☰ icon at the top left, then settings, then Sign out of Dropbox 
    3. Then, sign in with your new email and password, to access your new Dropbox account

2. On your home computer, locate the small Dropbox icon, and click on it. 
    1. now click on the Gear icon
    2. click on Preferences
    3. go to the Account tab
    4. click on Unlink this Dropbox
    5. you will then be prompted to log back in, so you can use your new account’s email and password
    6. your Dropbox content will now begin to sync to your computer, so you may have to give it some time to complete, depending on how much you have stored in your account

3. Your new Dropbox account is only accessible to you! You can choose to share content with others, but until you do so, nobody else can see your stuff. 

Since you and your X used to share login credentials, I would make sure that your new Dropbox account’s password is different than the old one, and is something that he won’t be able to guess! 

I hope this does the trick! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Have a great weekend

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: ex & i split & i have been left with dropbox on my computer. Upgraded on phone but not

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @kirsty123, welcome to our community!

Let’s see…
  • Did you and your X have the same login on your Dropbox account? Did you both use the same email and password to log in? 

• or did you each have a Dropbox of your own, and just shared folders between your accounts? 

• As the owner of a Dropbox account, you can go into your account settings online, and change your password. At that point, if you try to access your Dropbox from any other device, you will need to enter your new password. 

Let me know about the above, and we’ll go from there if we need to

Cheers! 

Sanchez

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

i never had to sign into anything as it was all automatic but have just discovered that it is all in his name so we were using the same dropbox account.  I'm just trying to figure out how to

1 reset my dropbox on my phone to a new dropbox account

2 link that to the computer at home so I can upload to dropbox when I get home eg pictures taken

3 ensure that my ex can't see any of the new account.

any help would be great.  I keep looking for answers and think i am finding them but then one of my kids pull me away from the computer and i have to start all over again later

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey again, @kirsty123

OK, so if you have a new Dropbox account, with a different email address as your login…

1. On your phone, open our app, and go into the settings:
    1. on iPhone, tap the person icon (account) at the bottom, then Sign out from this Dropbox
    2. on Android, tap the ☰ icon at the top left, then settings, then Sign out of Dropbox 
    3. Then, sign in with your new email and password, to access your new Dropbox account

2. On your home computer, locate the small Dropbox icon, and click on it. 
    1. now click on the Gear icon
    2. click on Preferences
    3. go to the Account tab
    4. click on Unlink this Dropbox
    5. you will then be prompted to log back in, so you can use your new account’s email and password
    6. your Dropbox content will now begin to sync to your computer, so you may have to give it some time to complete, depending on how much you have stored in your account

3. Your new Dropbox account is only accessible to you! You can choose to share content with others, but until you do so, nobody else can see your stuff. 

Since you and your X used to share login credentials, I would make sure that your new Dropbox account’s password is different than the old one, and is something that he won’t be able to guess! 

I hope this does the trick! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Have a great weekend

Sanchez

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?