cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exclamation mark and "Couldn't load content" message

exclamation mark and "Couldn't load content" message

LimKowkin
Helpful | Level 6

I just upgraded to "plus" and on 2 computers everything is fine etc. One, however, also syncs everything just fine, but there is a red exclamation mark on the dropbox taskbar icon (Windows 10 64bit enterprise). When I click on it, I see a message "Couldn't load content".  I also found that I cannot open dropbox desktop app. It just does not open even if I try a direct shortcut, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe" /home". On other (good) PCs I see latest activity and can open desktop app.

Of course, I tried complete clean uninstall removing all possible dropbox entries (also using revo uninstaller). I also tried to change dropbox folder location. No luck! I have no proxies and I see the same even if I disable firewal and windows defender. (and, to reiterate, all files sync instantly, so network is fine. Moreover, one of the "good" PCs where everything works is in the same room on exactly the same network.)

I think it has something to do with this particular PC and somehow its association with dropbox is broken. I tried to log off and back on, unlink this PC and re-link, nothing works. I wish there was some kind of logger to trace the issue.

14 Replies 14

Re: exclamation mark and "Couldn't load content" message

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @LimKowkin - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the desktop application on a particular computer of yours. Let's see what we can do!

Can you please clarify if you've also tried a clean, advanced re-install while troubleshooting this issue? 

If you did but you're still seeing this, I'd appreciate a screenshot so I can get a better look into the matter at hand. 

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LimKowkin
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, I have done that. I also did un-install using REVO uninstaller that found and removed all traces of dropbox from file and registry systems. I do have full admin access.

I am not sure what do you ask me to attach. Here I have a snapshot showing the exclamation mark and what I see when I press on it.

I think it is important, that I cannot run dropbox desktop - it just does not show. Can this give some clue?dbox-error.jpg

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @LimKowkin; I'm sorry for the late reply. Are you still having issues with this?

Let me know here if you do and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LimKowkin
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, the issue is still here. Off all computers one shows this exclamation mark and no "recent" or "notifications" when I click on it. This is really very inconveniet. I also tried to switch to a different dropbox user (just a free dummy account), the same story, so it must be something in Windows registry or other system files or settings that does not let DBox to see the content. I would panic, but with all that, it still syncs everything just fine and that is what I mostly need. It will porevent me from using Dropbox Paper, though (just bcoz, I cannot see the status if some changes are made).

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update @LimKowkin.

A clean, advanced re-install should have cleared your machine from any remaining files within your registry that could be acting up so this is strange to say the least.

May I reach out to the email address that's linked to your profile here so we can investigate further? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

oliwot
New member | Level 2

Has there been a resolve?

Exact same issue, full uninstall of dropbox, re installed with both offline and online installer tried, no luck.
Windows up to date.

LimKowkin
Helpful | Level 6

No, nothing (and nobody) helped. Windows updated to the newest build 2004, but Dropbox still has this same error. Very inconvenient as I cannot see current status of DBox files and edits.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @oliwot; thanks for joining our discussion here with @LimKowkin.

If the advanced re-install didn't work, I'd like you to try unllinking your account through the desktop app's preferences and relinking it anew. It might do the trick here. 

In case this doesn't help improve matters, please feel free to contact our support team to help troubleshoot this issue with account and device specific information. 

I hope this gets resolved for you soon!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

LimKowkin
Helpful | Level 6

No, unlinking does not help.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LimKowkin Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropboxer
    cptjenna New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?