cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: files from unsynced folders still appear on my hard drive

files from unsynced folders still appear on my hard drive

Angela I.2
New member | Level 1

I have a business account and share folders with colleagues that are full of many large documents. To save space on my hard drive, I've unsynced the folders I share with them. However, I didn't do this immediately, so many files synced to my computer before I unchecked them.

It appears that these files are still on my hard drive, despite the Dropbox claim that "the hard drive will automatically delete unsynced folders when you de-select them and click update".

These files from the shared folder (now unsynced) still show up in my "all my files" finder window AND.... my Dropbox folder (on my computer) shows more than 10 GB of content (and I can see the files there from this big unsynced folder). My own personal, synced content equals less than 200 MB.

I need this 10 GB of space on my hard drive back but I don't want to delete these files in case it affects the parent files on the shared Dropbox folder.

Can anyone help me understand how to get this space back/delete the folders without delete them from the shared web-based folder?

I'm using El Capitan on a new Macbook.

:pushpin: This thread is now closed. If you have a similar question please tart a new conversation in the community.
14 Replies 14

jpallot
New member | Level 2

Hi did you ever get an answer to this issue? I have the exact same problem and it's driving me crazy! Thanks

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey 
jpallot, sorry to get back to you in delay. Are you still experiencing this issue? 

In order to make sure I'm sending over the most appropriate info, could you share some more details regarding the case in your next reply, so as to make sure to follow-up with you as closely as possible (eg. Had you previously Selectively synced the folder/ folders you're seeing on your desktop? Were these folders shared?)? Also, do you see duplicates of the folders on your account online? Also, if there's any piece of information that'd help me determine the case, please let me know here. 

Thank you in advance & I'll be awaiting to hear back from you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Jadams
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I'm having the same issue it seems. My macbook's HD is full with audio and photos which can only be those on my DB. I unsynced folders in my dropbox account (a long time ago), but see that I can still access these through 'all my files' while I'm offline. I've read a post to do with deleting cache, but can't seem to locate that folder.

Would appreciate some advice on this. 

ArizonaGirl13
Helpful | Level 5
This didn't work for me : (

ArizonaGirl13
Helpful | Level 5

I have the same issue. Help!!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you could post it in the Find Answers section here. ]
Need more support?