cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

headless autoupgrade ran server out of disc space.

headless autoupgrade ran server out of disc space.

navaho99
New member | Level 2

We're running a dropbpox instance on a debian server in headless mode. 
We used the instructions here and the python script to control it.

Recently the server ran out of disc space. Upon investigation we found that the Dropbox cache tmp_dirs was full of dozens and dozens of dropbox-upgrade-96.4.172.tar.gz.  

It appears that Dropbox was trying to auto update itself, and that update was failing due to a missing dependency.

I'd like to suggest that Dropbox only needs to download the upgrade file once, not each time it tries to update itself.  Check the cache and see if it is already there.
Lacking that, at least clean up after yoursel if the update fails. Using all that bandwidth to redownload the file is not ideal, but running the server out of disc space is even less ideal.

I'm complety unlable to find any kind of log that Dropbox might be writing to which I could have monitored and been alerted that an upgrade failed.  I can't even find any way to get it from stdin or stderr.  Manually trying to trigger an upgrade creates no output that I can find.

4 Replies 4

Re: headless autoupgrade ran server out of disc space.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @navaho99, thanks for checking in with us. 

Just to make sure that we cover as much initial troubleshooting as possible, could you first confirm if your setup meets the Dropbox app's essential requirements for Linux OSes, which are necessary for headless installations? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

navaho99
New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil,

Thanks for the reply.

The server is Debian 9.

user@servername:~# cat /etc/issue
Debian GNU/Linux 9 \n \l

user@servername:~# cat /etc/debian_version

user@servername:~# uname -a
Linux servername 5.4.10-x86_64-linode132 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 9 21:17:12 UTC 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Glibc is 2.50

user@servername:~# dpkg -l | grep glib
ii  libglib2.0-0:amd64              2.50.3-2+deb9u2                   amd64        GLib library of C routines
ii  libglib2.0-data                 2.50.3-2+deb9u2                   all          Common files for GLib library

Dropbox app was the latest when installed via the instructions quoted above. This appears to be Nov 22 last year.

To be clear, Dropbox was running fine.  That's not the issue. The issue is that the upgrade failed due to missing dependencies (libglapi-mesa and libxdamage1), did not alert us to same, and then continued to download the update file over, and over, and over, and.... you get the picture.

All I am saying is that Dropbpx should clean up after a failed update and give us a way to redirect a log file so that we can know what Dropbox is doing.  This is especially critical in a headless environment.

navaho99
New member | Level 2

And just to be clear, i am not insisting that Dropbox immediately drop everything and add in logging and self cleaning. I am suggesting that these things be considered for future versions.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for the detailed reply, @navaho99

You can find a list of Linux commands that are available on Dropbox in this article

Let me know if this is what you were looking for and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?