cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how about a force sync/refresh button?

how about a force sync/refresh button?

Alan C.23
New member | Level 1

I am looking at my drop box through my browser, everything is there and up to date. I'm also looking at my drop box on my computer, it says everything is there, no syncing icons, just a big bag of green ticks. but one does not equal the other. whats on my computer isn't whats in my drop box. I am missing folders and files.

there needs to be a refresh button or right click option to force a refresh of folder contents on your computer.

After much mucking around I paused the sync (even though it said there was nothing to sync) restarted the sync and bingo they appeared. no downloading, just there as if they'd been there all along.

This also happens when I save a image or file into the drop box folder on my computer, if I then go find that image/file in an application such as indesign or photoshop its not there, as in it won't appear in the window dialog. But if I go to the finder and look for it, its there.

Syncing like that is really slow or is non existent.

So freaking frustrating.

45 Replies 45

Kathleen F.8
New member | Level 1

I also have this problem. I switch between my mac laptop and my PC desktop, and DB causes all sorts of headaches with syncing. I would definitely support some sort of refresh buttong, as I've tried pausing syncing and restarting etc 

Hector R.2
New member | Level 1

Same here.... I just don't trust the sync and a force sync button would be great... I only edit on one computer due to the fact that I've tried editing on the second computer only to have the files showing up as "conflicted"...  I agree with Alan this issue should be addressed...

Wayne J.8
New member | Level 1

My work around is to not leave Sync running

Only when I get up to go somewhere or attend a meeting I turn it on. If it was more customisable with functions like

1 sync between times ie 5pm and 8pm

2 sync when computer not in use or when screen saver is running

3 sync and when done shutdown computer

these would be very helpful.

peter b.151
New member | Level 2

I would also support a more flexible interface to the syncing of dropbox. I use dropbox alot to shift files between two machines on totally different "unconnected" networks. It seems that there are times when the file just doesn't arrive within a reasonable time. The ability to right click and say force dropbox sync would be quite handy.  I'd also support Wayne J above when he suggests the ability to specify times when syncing can occur.

Thanks

David A.96
New member | Level 1

One again, I also have this issue. I use dropbox for backup of CAD data usually before an update to the CAD software. If it isn't in sync then this could cause me huge issues. A sync button to force this with confirmation should be simple to implement and I for one would prefer this.

Marcos P.2
New member | Level 1

I also have the same issue on Windows 8.1

Thanks Alan C. for the tip of "pausing sync" and starting over. That did the trick. However, I was also looking for a "force sync" button (the work-around is not very obvious) 

Luis O.11
New member | Level 1

I'm waiting for it to sync for 15 minutes now.
I looked everywhere for a "sync" button or force sync or configuration but to no avail and now I found this thread.

I even thought it was barred from the free accounts but I see it's not.

I think it's something taken for granted. It's vital to have it and developers at db didn't need for us to say it was necessary.

Luis O.11
New member | Level 1

just to clarify:
I don't need a button on the app on my computer!
I need a button on dropbox.com

Roger M.6
New member | Level 2

I'm having the issue too.  Dave C - Are we all imagining it?  I saved my document before I left work, and 6 hours later it is not on my "up to date" dropbox at home.  How can I force a sync?  The "pause sync" idea didn't retrieve my file.  

Some real help - 24/7 phone support is needed - this isn't a start-up anymore.  BTW, yes, I'm on the paid service, not the free.  If they're taking my money, asking for support is not a stretch.

Christian P.16
Helpful | Level 5

Needs a resync button... usually either quit the app and start it again or a reboot is needed... its easier if you just had a right click-force resync

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

aaz125 New member | Level 2
    BigBlackBoots New member | Level 2
    Remy J. New member | Level 1
    Archivo C. New member | Level 1
    Ernest R.2 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?