cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how about a force sync/refresh button?

how about a force sync/refresh button?

Alan C.23
New member | Level 1

I am looking at my drop box through my browser, everything is there and up to date. I'm also looking at my drop box on my computer, it says everything is there, no syncing icons, just a big bag of green ticks. but one does not equal the other. whats on my computer isn't whats in my drop box. I am missing folders and files.

there needs to be a refresh button or right click option to force a refresh of folder contents on your computer.

After much mucking around I paused the sync (even though it said there was nothing to sync) restarted the sync and bingo they appeared. no downloading, just there as if they'd been there all along.

This also happens when I save a image or file into the drop box folder on my computer, if I then go find that image/file in an application such as indesign or photoshop its not there, as in it won't appear in the window dialog. But if I go to the finder and look for it, its there.

Syncing like that is really slow or is non existent.

So freaking frustrating.

45 Replies 45

Richard G.34
Explorer | Level 4

Yeah, I'm sitting here waiting for the blue to turn green. And nothing seems to be happening. If only to make me feel like I'm doing something, a refresh button would be good.

Igor S.3
New member | Level 1

Same issue here. Got problems with sync after update of dropbox. Will be nice to have a refresh (mandatory re-sync) button.

Dimo B.
New member | Level 1

Just to renew the issue: obviously, nothing happened since last March and I also continue to have problems with the syncing between two Windows machines. I think many of us "other 100,000,000 users" will be happy if an explicit refresh functionality is supported.

Cregg H.
New member | Level 1

I constantly have problems with DropBox not syncing. That is to say, I make a change on one computer and very quickly see the change appear on the website, but the change is not synced to another computer for many minutes--often after going back to the first computer and making further changes to try to trigger Dropbox to get a clue.

I've been putting up with it, hoping the linux client will add a manual sync--as it obviously should have--but I'm about ready to give up and give box a try.

Just now, a change synced to this computer on a file I made on another computer before I even started searching for this thread.

Mohd Suhaime S.
New member | Level 1

Not yet reached 100,000,000 people that need refresh button Dave C? Is it still not 'pretty obvious' to you and DB that we need that button? Like others, i found these info by DB staff when searching for answer, What a bad attitude. Thank you Alan C for rising the issue.

brad b.7
New member | Level 1

I hit this all the time, too, on my Windows machines. Usually it's not an issue, but it's frustrating when I need to sync a file quickly between two machines (kind of the whole point of DB).  The Pause Sync workaround works, but I have to do it all ALL the devices I need to sync. DB needs a Force Master Sync button...

Wayne J.8
New member | Level 1

I have found the best way round this dump Dropbox sync app. Loooong story.

Because of all the issues I have had with apps and explorer failing because of dropbox I decided to remove Dropbox app off my PC and look elsewhere for a solution. I am now using a free application to sync my entire Data drive to a folder on a NAS

Yet another thing Dropbox app is incapable of doing But FREE open source apps have no problems doing it.

Anyway now my explorer works perfectly and does not crash on right click send mail and my expensive applications no longer have issues with their files being synced while I am trying to do work.

So now to sync with Dropbox, to that end I have another low spec PC that is running Dropbox app and it syncs to Dropbox. Small problem Dropbox app will not sync to mapped drives?????. Anywho I had to find a work around get it to look like a folder on a local drive. I can post this if anyone needs to know how to do.

So now I don't need to worry about a force sync button, it just takes a while for the data to get to Dropbox.

ALL this just because Dropbox app is not quite right or finished or what ever other excuse / misdirection tactic Dave C or anyone else wants to give us.

signed not so impressed customer....

Mohd Suhaime S.
New member | Level 1

How about u just share ur idea Wayne J.. who knows it could benefit others.. Thank you.

Ave T.
New member | Level 1

I agree with Alan C. I am starting to lose my patience with Dropbox. maybe I'll quit it all together.

Dave C you don't have to be an ass because you haven't had this issue. 

Kevin N.20
New member | Level 1

I run a small business on Dropbox and it's a nightmare. A new staff member joined last week and before he had even stepped into the office I explained to him the kind of syncing issues that happen every single day. I would love to see a force refresh button. Dave C can get off his high horse about it!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

aaz125 New member | Level 2
    BigBlackBoots New member | Level 2
    Remy J. New member | Level 1
    Archivo C. New member | Level 1
    Ernest R.2 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?