Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

how do I know if everything is saved offline before I delete it from my pc?

Explorer | Level 3

My pc says I am out of disk space due to dropbox. I am syncing now (and do sync regularly). 

I see dropbox listed twice when I open file explorer. Before I delete anything from my pc - which selection should I pick in file explorer? I don't want to delete stuff from dropbox - JUST MY HARD DRIVE. 

"Deleting" is a HUGE deal and I don't want to delete the wrong stuff. My syncing is going to take a LONG time and that's ok, but when it's done I want to take the stuff off my pc and know it is save in dropbox. 

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: how do I know if everything is saved offline before I delete it from my pc?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @pichick712, thanks for checking in with us. 

You can check which folder is the one that's actively syncing by:

• Checking which Dropbox folder has sync icons.
  • Clicking on the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer' clock and then selecting the folder icon. 
  • Adding a new folder to one of your Dropbox folders and seeing if it syncs to the website.

Once you figure out which one is the folder that syncs to your account, you can delete the other. 

Finally, if you're on a paid subscription, you can also use Smart Sync to save hard drive space.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

OK. I see "dropbox" twice. Once "smaller" below "my pc" and then another one larger and sort of separate from "my pc" stuff - ie pictures, downloads, documents etc. Once synced, I can delete the smaller icon in with the pictures, documents etc as oppsed to the larger dropbox icon that shows the syncing icon?  Yes? 

The dropbox under "quick access" is the one that can be deleted? 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

when I look to see which folder it is syncing to -dropbox folder icon -  it says JoyceB - Dropbox

there is also a dropbox icon but that is not where the folder is directing me to. HELP! lol 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @pichick712

Could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you're seeing just to make sure that we're on the same page?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?