cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i stop dropbox from showing on my c drive but keep it on my d drive

how do i stop dropbox from showing on my c drive but keep it on my d drive

Eric W.7
Explorer | Level 4

HI thanks for reading this.

all of a sudden my dropbox is showing up on my c drive and my d drive

Windows 10

bascially what's on the c drive is a duplicate of the d drive.

As it is now dropbox is filling up my c drive and it's about to crash. i am not able to snyc as dropbox is saying i don't have enough hard drive space

I've looked at other posts with similar issues but am not finding the fix.

How do i stop dropbox from showing up on my c drive?

I tried to delete a folder from my c drive but of course it deleted from dropbox.com

it has not deleted from my d drive but that's a syncing issue i'd think

I"ve tried

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/computer-backup

Turn off computer backup.....

To turn off computer backup:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac). 
  2. Click your profile picture or initials.
  3. Click Preferences.
  4. Click the Backups tab.
  5. Click Manage backup. I don't have the option to do this
  6. Uncheck the folders you’d like to stop backing up to Dropbox or uncheck My Mac/My PC to turn off backup for all folders at once. 
  7. Click Save.
  8. Choose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac or Leave content in Dropbox.
    • If you choose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac, the files and folders you stopped backing up can be found in their original folders on your computer. 
    • If you choose Leave content in Dropbox, new files you add to those folders will save to their original folders on your computer, but the files and folders you previously backed up to Dropbox with computer backup will remain in your Dropbox account. On your computer, they’ll be accessible by shortcuts, in their original folders, called “My files in Dropbox”. 
      • Note: If you see Set Up instead, it means computer backup is already off. "i see set up". 
  9. Click Stop backup. dont' have this option
  10. Click Close.
  11. Screenshot 2020-12-09 19.03.08 .25mb.pngScreenshot 2020-12-09 19.06.23 0.25 mb.png
4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Eric W.7; thanks for posting on our Community!

It looks like you haven't set up the computer backup feature on this computer yet; this is why you get the 'Set Up' option. 

Moving on to your concern now, can you clarify where exactly is your Dropbox folder located? Is it the C drive or the D one? 

Also, did you, at some point, move your Dropbox folder to your D drive through the app's preferences using these steps

Any additional information is more than welcome. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Eric W.7
Explorer | Level 4

HI Walter

thanks for your note

when i bought the pc last year i wanted more storage space and it was suggested keep c drive with only operating software and buy a second hard drive to put files and folders in .

ie my day to day needs

Dropbox was put on my d drive.

Dropbox was never on my c drive

re trying to help you help me....

this past fall i was  moving and needed to access some d drive my documents remotely. i put a copy of a d drive folder on my dropbox.

it appears since then i now have dropbox on my c drive and drive.

Eric W.7
Explorer | Level 4

Dec 10 09:35

update

i've been having a re look at this.

i think you are correct i'm not backing  up as the only 'new' files and folders on my c drive is dropbox (211gb)

somehow dropbox is loading onto  my c drive now instead of my d drive.

If i delete dropbox folders from my c drive, dropbox.com puts them in the deleted folder ie i lose them all.

so somehow i need to stop dropbox from loading onto my c drive and return to loading on my d drive.

fyi i have two pc's side by side running independatly of each other.

computer 1 has dropbox on c and d drives This is the computer we've been discussing.

computer 2 has dropbox just on d drive 

Dropbox is not syncing between my devices. I think because my computer 1 hard drive is full. at least that's the error message i am getting.

Eric W.7
Explorer | Level 4

hi, contacting dropbox support is vertually impossible.

chat never connects, emails take days to go back and forth and voice support is only avail for business accounts which is what we changed to and now are back on plus.

is there another way to get support? ie chat or voice with a community member? 

here's our issues

We were on business plan changed back to plus

when we did so somehow dropbox started showing up on our c drive and our d drive ( we only want it on d)

we were able to get chat support, uninstalled and reinstalled, seemed to work then we lost the dropbox icon

we've uninstalled and reinstalled

we now have 3 or 4 copies of dropbox on the pc using up huge space. 

we get the dropbox icon intermetently and when we do get a permissions error.

does anyone have any ideas how i can connect with some one who can help me either via voice or chat?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Eric W.7 Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?