cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

how to prevent losing file create date on uploaded m4a voice recordings from iphone

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

audio files uploaded as m4a files from my iphone are records of conversations. I need to retain the original file create date, but can't find it once i save to dropbox. Instead the date stamp is the upload date. How do I find the original file create date? Or save the voice recording so it shows the original file create date not the upload date? These are all my personal voice recordings.

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: how to prevent losing file create date on uploaded m4a voice recordings from iphone

Super User II
Super User II

The creation date IS the date it was uploaded. It's the date that the file is created on the Dropbox servers. There's no way to change that when uploading. The best you could do is to rename the file during the upload, so the date is part of the file's name.

Highlighted

Re: how to prevent losing file create date on uploaded m4a voice recordings from iphone

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @VirgCodes,

Yes, Dropbox keep only upload time/date and in regular upload you can't keep the original creation time. Workaround could be packing the target file(s) in form like tar or rar (able keeping such metadata), for example, and upload resulting package/archive.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?