cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMac - Stop Using Dropbox

iMac - Stop Using Dropbox

Biggles07
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi All, I'm at my wits end trying to get my files back off DropBox and onto my computer. Clearly I've accidentally allowed DB to 'sync' my stuff. Now, despite it not being true, DP says my account is full and I must pay to continue. I don't need a paid service and want to get back to a pre-DB status. I've read 10's of posts about this and still cannot find a route that doesn't leave me wondering if I'm about to lose everything with one click of the mouse. The problem shows itself as follows:

The DropBox file structure in Finder lists my whole computer as the top of the tree, with Documents, Downloads and Desktop sitting below. Each of these folders has a combination of green and blue circular icons (I assume these mean DB has the files?). I just want all my files back on the computer and all trace of the service removed. I have already got rid of the few shared folders I had (BTW: this did not reduce my storage despite the indication that it would). Please can anyone help with non-jargon instructions for an iMac running Catalina? I do have the App - but I cannot close it or bin it ('cos its always open). Also can't seem to be able use it to get into any settings. Very grateful for any help with this - too many hours trying....... Simon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello Biggles07

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.  Sorry, you are confused and having issues.  Dropbox is a syncing tool so whatever that is inside your Dropbox folder syncs to the Cloud (Dropbox Servers) so if we have you unlink the CLient from your iMac, then no more syncing will take place, then we can uninstall Dropbox CLient, then all will be the same as before

First, go here:  https://www.dropbox.com/account/security   then find your iMac in Devices, click the trash icon and this will unlink your iMac from your DB account.  Then you can delete the Client, first by quitting the application.  You can do this by clicking on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar on the top right-hand side.  and click on your avatar (pic) and select quit.  This will quit the Dropbox Client.  

then lastly, you can go into your Application folder, and drag the Dropbox icon into the trash.  Then you will not see any badges, etc.

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello Biggles07

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.  Sorry, you are confused and having issues.  Dropbox is a syncing tool so whatever that is inside your Dropbox folder syncs to the Cloud (Dropbox Servers) so if we have you unlink the CLient from your iMac, then no more syncing will take place, then we can uninstall Dropbox CLient, then all will be the same as before

First, go here:  https://www.dropbox.com/account/security   then find your iMac in Devices, click the trash icon and this will unlink your iMac from your DB account.  Then you can delete the Client, first by quitting the application.  You can do this by clicking on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar on the top right-hand side.  and click on your avatar (pic) and select quit.  This will quit the Dropbox Client.  

then lastly, you can go into your Application folder, and drag the Dropbox icon into the trash.  Then you will not see any badges, etc.

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Biggles07
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Chris, many thanks. Yes, that did it. I feared clicking the trash icon in the web version because it implies total deletion (poor HMI? Should be a tick box?) Used Force Quit to finally get rid of the app and send it to trash. Now have pre-DB situation for which I'm very grateful - thank you. Regards, Simon

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Thanks, Simon

Sorry to see you go, Dropbox has made my life easier but I've been a lifetime user from the beginning.  I understand about the trash symbol.  it used to say unlink which I think they should've kept that way.  I will share your experience with them 

NielsWantsOut
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Unlink is a million times better than a trash can!!!!!!!!!! Listen to that, Dropbox - your regular users are confused and you don't care. That is why I am now trying to leave Dropbox.

LynnAJ
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

hello Chris,

are you available to help me?

LynnAJ
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I need to cancel the Dropbox cloud Backup tool and restore everything back to my MacBook Pro operating system asap.

I am missing my Desktop, Downloads, and Documents, plus I have lost functionality in my Finder Folder.

Please help. This is urgent.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello Lynn

I will be glad to.  Please let me know what issues you are a having.  and please be specific, what OS you are using, 

Thank you

LynnAJ
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

thanks!

Your message to the person ahead of me was exactly what i needed to disconnect my MacBook Pro 14".

I'm on Monterey v 12.5.1 now.

So, i've gotten part of the job done. 

Disconnected my laptop from DB.

I still want to use DB as i did before....sync and then use the app locally to quickly access everything i store in DP.

But now, my Mac still does not have the 3 folders that were removed, and my Finder is not operating.

I cannot create a New Folder, for example

Error message every time.

(I'm about to call Apple Support again, but they won't support me with any issues created by DB)

I no longer have the 3 main folders that DB "removed" from my laptop either: Desktop, Downloads, Documents.

I have no idea how to restore those from DB.

Do you?

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Thanks Lynn for getting back to me here.  Lets see if we can get this fixed.  Have you rebooted your Mac recently?  if not, its seems it needs a fresh restart.

If you go to your Dropbox preferences, (click on Dropbox icon in menu bar and click on avastar and select preferences) then click on manage Backups, a dialog box shows, does any of the folder has a check box checked on?

also, those backup folders should show up inside your Dropbox folder, usually the folder is named after your Mac name.  Lets see if it has been deleted for some reason, go to your Web interface,  click on Dropbox icon in menu bar, and click on the world icon that will open up your default browser and you will see Dropbox folders,  on the left hand side panel, you will see the wording of 'Deleted Files', click on that and there will be a list of deleted files.  Keep in mind Dropbox only saves 30 days worth of files that have been deleted.  Has it been 30 days since you had these folder missing?  if so, I afraid there is nothing can do.  (if these folders were deleted)

I hope this helps you.  Let know how things went

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LynnAJ Helpful | Level 5
    Chris_J Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?