cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

iOS 11 Dropbox app "Photos" tab can access entire account

Explorer | Level 4

When using the iOS 11 Dropbox app "Photos" tab I've noticed it has access not just to the "Camera Uploads" folder but to my ENTIRE account; all files, everywhere.  Is there a way to stop/limit this?

I think it's absurd to haphazardly draw from my entire folder structure rather than the obvious Camera Uploads folder alone.  It's creepy to expect to see a few of my most recent photos but then realize I'm actually looking through thousands of old & new pics, scanned documents, & screenshots, etc. all throughout my archives as well.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: iOS 11 Dropbox app "Photos" tab can access entire account

Super User II
Super User II

Neal M.4 wrote:

When using the iOS 11 Dropbox app "Photos" tab I've noticed it has access not just to the "Camera Uploads" folder but to my ENTIRE account; all files, everywhere.  Is there a way to stop/limit this?

There's no way to prevent that. The purpose of the Photos tab is to show all images from everywhere in your account, including shared folders.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Neal M.4 wrote:

There's no way to prevent that. The purpose of the Photos tab is to show all images from everywhere in your account, including shared folders.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

So no controls at all then?

That just seems like an amateur move from Dropbox that I think greatly takes away from their app.  Because everyone knows you need to see your years old financial archive documents mixed in with your recent son's baby pics; am I right!?

It's funny that this small thing will likely lead me to not renew with Dropbox.  While photos are hardly the focus of my account, I do still have something like 36k images in my real photo archive and I've never even tallied the raw .jpg file count everywhere else but that generates a lot of unnecessary spam and I don't really like the idea of those files being unnecessarily crawled.

There are just better options out there is Dropbox's problem and I don't like the idea of third-party photo display app options that would require root & full access to the rest of my Dropbox account. This type of nonsense is proof Dropbox needs folder permission restrictions, I should be able to block unnecessary access and really that should be the default for a real cloud company.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

@Rich Thank you for confirming what I had just proven to myself.  I duplicated and renamed a photo and added it to a folder that has NOTHING to do with photos.  Sure enough, that second copy of the photo now shows up in my "Photos" section of the Dropbox iOS app on my phone.

This is very disturbing, and inconvenient.  A friend shared with me 100s of photos via Dropbox.  Now they show up on my phone, even when I'm disconnected from wifi and in airplane mode, which means I have copies, on my phone!  And they appear mixed in with MY photos. 

This makes the Photos section of Dropbox unusable to me.  And makes me want to not use Dropbox for looking at friends' photos.  

Is there no selective sync for iOS? That was the first thing I hunted for, but with no joy.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
Personally I agree. I hate that tab. Its unprofessional and dangerous.

And no, no selective sync because its technically not needed - nothing is actually downloaded to the device. You are simply seeing a streamed page from the web.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?