cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iOS Dropbox app won’t acknowledge Microsoft Word app

iOS Dropbox app won’t acknowledge Microsoft Word app

LRBH
Explorer | Level 4

I’m on Dropbox version 274.2 and Microsoft Word version 2.60. Today I started having an issue where trying to open a Word doc in my Dropbox app prompts me to install Word, despite the app being installed and up to date. If I tap through, Dropbox then sits waiting for Word to download, and never opens the document. 
58E7F58B-F3E9-4ADD-8A7D-830E46D09A57.jpeg

56 Replies 56

Elixir
Super User

Hello there @LRBH, Can you please try reinstalling Dropbox app and install Microsoft unified Office App https://aka.ms/OfficeAppiOS? Note that now Microsoft has a unified office app (along with individual Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote apps), which can be used to view/edit all supported office files.

Jenniferchristie
Helpful | Level 5
Having the same issue with both microsoft word app and microsoft office app.

LRBH
Explorer | Level 4

Installing the unified app and deleting/reinstalling Dropbox seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks!

Jenniferchristie
Helpful | Level 5
The following 👇 only works temporarily.
I received these instructions from the Dropbox support team. Since it then reverted to not opening Word/Excel, I’ve sent Dropbox Support a screen recording. Their rep says they will look into it.

iOS Clear Cache/Uninstall/Reinstall Instructions:

1) Clear the cache on your Dropbox app.
To clear your cache, please follow the steps listed below:

Navigate to the “Account” tab
Tap the gear icon in the upper-left corner of the screen
Scroll to the bottom of the screen
Select “Clear Cache” under "Privacy"

2) Uninstall the Dropbox App
3) Sign out from the App Store
4) Restart your device
5) Sign into the App Store
6) Download and Install Dropbox
7) Try to sign into your Dropbox account

J

MooseAI
Explorer | Level 4
I’ve been having this problem and reinstalled Dropbox works for me, but when I leave it for a few hours it reverts back to telling me I have to install the Word app. Is it a glitch from the most recent Dropbox update?

Jenniferchristie
Helpful | Level 5
Have you tried installing the Office app? I think the Office app is supposed to replace the separate Word, Excel etc apps as a superior model. That’s what I am using. It’s not reverted yet. If it does, though, I’ll let you know. .

Jenniferchristie
Helpful | Level 5
Have you tried installing the Office app? I think the Office app is supposed to replace the separate Word, Excel etc apps as a superior model. That’s what I am using. It’s not reverted yet. If it does, though, I’ll let you know. .

MooseAI
Explorer | Level 4
Install Office to open as opposed to Word? I have but it doesn’t give me the option to open from Office

Jenniferchristie
Helpful | Level 5
It should force Word to open via Office if you delete the Separate Word app and clear the cache, phone off and on etc as above.
Need more support?