cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't open files in Excel from iPad Dropbox app

iOS Dropbox app won’t acknowledge Microsoft Word app

LRBH
Explorer | Level 4

I’m on Dropbox version 274.2 and Microsoft Word version 2.60. Today I started having an issue where trying to open a Word doc in my Dropbox app prompts me to install Word, despite the app being installed and up to date. If I tap through, Dropbox then sits waiting for Word to download, and never opens the document. 
58E7F58B-F3E9-4ADD-8A7D-830E46D09A57.jpeg

56 Replies 56

LRBH
Explorer | Level 4
I'm having this problem too - thought it was solved, then next time I tried to use it the app was broken again. 😕 I think it is a bug caused by the new update. For now I'll try following the full uninstall instructions Jennifer provided.

LRBH
Explorer | Level 4

No good - Dropbox is now refusing to acknowledge the Office app even right after a full reinstall. I can open my Dropbox files from inside the Office app, but not in Dropbox itself. Which is frustrating, because it means I can't use the "most recent" tab to quickly pick up where I left off.

I think I'm just going to have to wait for a bug fix. 🙁

MooseAI
Explorer | Level 4
It’s not a huge problem for me; reinstalling Dropbox each time is just annoying. Having to press the screen a few more times tells me just how lazy I am lol

I’ll just wait for an update to fix it hopefully

allenng
Explorer | Level 4

Hi All,

after update of new IOS on my iPad i can't seems to open up files from Dropbox to Excel. 
Dropbox app keep asking me to download the Excel app but i already have it. 

Please advise

Elixir
Super User

Can you please try installing Microsoft unified Office App https://aka.ms/OfficeAppiOS? Note that now Microsoft has a unified office app (along with individual Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote apps), which can be used to view/edit all supported office files. Then reinstall the Dropbox app as well.

allenng
Explorer | Level 4

Done what you mentioned, but it still ask me to download Excel app. 

allenng
Explorer | Level 4

I uninstall the excel app and reinstall it. Now it works. I have the All i one app but it doesn’t open the file to that app 

Gazlaz
Explorer | Level 4

Everything has worked as it should until recently. Now when I try to open an excel file in My Dropbox on iPhone I get a message saying I need to install excel.

I’ve tried reinstalling both apps (Dropbox and excel) and that resolves the issue until I try again a day later and I get the same issue again.

Anyone else seen a similar issue before?

Thanks

Zoltan
Helpful | Level 5
Same problem with both excel and words. They need to fix that quick, can not use Dropbox without those 2

mduck314
New member | Level 2

Having the same issue after the last IOS update. I did all the above. Does not work. Keeps asking me to download Excel but it is already installed 😞

Need more support?