cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS Siri Shortcuts, Using “Get File” With Dropbox

iOS Siri Shortcuts, Using “Get File” With Dropbox

nuwen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I’m trying to use Siri Shortcuts on iOS 12 to share photos using a shared Dropbox folder. I’ve written a workflow that successfully saves selected photos from the iOS Photos app (or elsewhere) to a specific folder in Dropbox. The problem I’m running into is on the other end when I attempt to write a workflow that selects all photos from this folder and saves them to iOS Photos. It appears as though the “Get File” action in Siri Shortcuts doesn’t properly retrieve all files contained in a prespecified File Path when this action is used with a Dropbox location. Instead, the action returns a mostly white JPG with the name of the referenced folder displayed in the upper left hand corner. By contrast, “Get File” actions pointed at a specific iCloud Drive File Path properly return the contents of that folder. Am I doing something wrong or is Dropbox just not compatible with iOS Files / Siri Shortcuts?

Thanks,

Ben

B26F67B5-3DE5-4D37-BABD-BDD19EFA85FD.jpeg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

palcaide
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

As we expected, IOS 12.1 update has solved the issue. 

Now, in Shortcus app, the action “Get File” with Dropbox, woks fine, as it dit in Workflow app in IOS 11.

Great!!

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, since iOS 12 and Siri shortcuts are relatively new, most likely there isn’t any integration or compatibility with the Dropbox mobile app.

I’ll forward this suggestion to our dev team for their consideration in future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

xDISHMASTERx
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Here's another vote for fixing this. Thanks!

palcaide
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

You’re doing right. Before update to IOS 12, Workflow app and Dropbox did work fine together, and automation in managing files for productivity were wonderful. But now, with IOS 12 Shortcuts app, this kind of automation is not possible with Dropbox. Till a fixing is done, I´ll move my main folders to iCloud Drive ☹️☹️☹️. Shortcuts still work fine there. I don’t like this, I prefer Dropbox, but it simply doesn’t work.

Corey_CMPMS
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Follow up. But how did you write a workflow that successfully saves selected photos frfrom m the iOS Photos app? When I write the destination patch, Shortcuts is renaming the file to the last thing in the path. For instance in your example my shortcut would rename the file “photos” and put it in the “for sadye” folder. So then it won’t put any more files in there because it is renaming every file to “photos”. Any help would be appreciated 

nuwen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I ran into this as well. You need to add a “/“ to the end of the path so that the final segment is interpreted as a directory rather than a filename.

Gugavitrola
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
You are a genius! Your tip worked perfectly! Tks a lot

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Gugavitrola, let us know which response was best, and mark it as a solution so all others can use it too!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

palcaide
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I’m sorry Jay, but the initial question remains unsolved: the “Get file” action in Shortcuts app DON’T returns the list of the files in a given Dropbox folder. With or without the “/“ at the end of the path.

The solution given by nuwen refers to the “Save file” action, that works fine.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the update, I’ll keep the dev team advised that this issue isn’t related to to the solution provided.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

amni1122 Explorer | Level 3
    RichTack Explorer | Level 3
    palcaide Helpful | Level 7
    Thomas M.67 New member | Level 2
    AlanWd Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?