Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

iOS files app integration

Helpful | Level 6

When browsing dropbox through the files app, any filetype that isn't previewable by default, is also not selectable (it shows as greyed out). Examples are indesign files (.indd) and cad design files (.dwg). You can't even select them to share them or email them etc.

You can select to share, email etc direct thorugh dropbox - just within the files app that causes this issue.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: iOS files app integration

Helpful | Level 6

Yes, i've since figured out that it isn't a problem restricted just to the dropbox app. I've replicated it with other third party apps too. Seems more likely it is a problem with the framework apple are offering to enable this type of integration. I've spoke to them about it, but as usual, i get a distinct whiff of 'can't possibly be a problem with our software', it must be your phone, your app, your settings, etc. etc

Based on this, a this stage i doubt your devs could solve it - more likely an apple OS bug/problem.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I had the same issue using the files app and accessing DB files with non-recognized extensions.

You may want to update to the latest levels and see if it's still a problem.

As of ios 11.0.3 and Dropbox 70.2, on an iPad Pro 10.5, for me, the issue has been resolved.  At least for the file extensions I was having issues with: .7z, .ips, .synced, and my test extension, .xyz.

Cheers,

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Steve184, welcome to our forum! 

You’re right about this. I’ve just replicated it here with some files that are not preview-able. To be honest, I’m not sure that this is something that’s up to us to take care of, but I’ll let our devs know in any case. 

Thanks for bringing this up! 
Have a great week ahead

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Yes, i've since figured out that it isn't a problem restricted just to the dropbox app. I've replicated it with other third party apps too. Seems more likely it is a problem with the framework apple are offering to enable this type of integration. I've spoke to them about it, but as usual, i get a distinct whiff of 'can't possibly be a problem with our software', it must be your phone, your app, your settings, etc. etc

Based on this, a this stage i doubt your devs could solve it - more likely an apple OS bug/problem.

Thanks

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Steve184

Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, you’re probably right about our guys not being able to solve this. I appreciate you taking the time to update me here! 

Cheers 

Sanchez

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
@Steve184, would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access the survey here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Sanchez

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I had the same issue using the files app and accessing DB files with non-recognized extensions.

You may want to update to the latest levels and see if it's still a problem.

As of ios 11.0.3 and Dropbox 70.2, on an iPad Pro 10.5, for me, the issue has been resolved.  At least for the file extensions I was having issues with: .7z, .ips, .synced, and my test extension, .xyz.

Cheers,

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Right you are!

Was it an iOS bug or a dropbox app bug?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?