cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS11 UIDocumentPickerViewController does nothing after selecting an attachement

iOS11 UIDocumentPickerViewController does nothing after selecting an attachement

jelteliekens
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

We're currenty testing an app for iOS11 support and bumped into a problem with the new UIDocumentPickerViewController. An action opens the new UIDocumentPickerViewController, iCloud Drive is shown by default, we're tapping on the Locations button and switch to Dropbox. When selecting an attachement, the viewcontroller is dismisses but nothing is happening. When selecting an attacthement from iCloud Drive things work just fine. 

While debugging we found out the delegate method is not called and following message is shown in the console output.

[UIDocumentLog] UIDocumentPickerViewController : didPickDocumentURLs called with nil or 0 URLS

Does someone else has this problem too? If yes, what's your solution. It would be nice to see this fixed before iOS11 is released.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

26 Replies 26

JustinJ
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I downloaded the update this evening. While it did fix the picker issue I had to turn off my passcode for my Dropbox app. When trying to open my DP folder in Files app, there is a message to authenticate by opening the DB app to do so. Turns out the passcode has to be disabled. This is pretty ridiculous. To use Files one has to disable protection for the DB app.

Consider this: to register for this forum one must sign in the enter a 6 digit code. Seems logical but extreme given now that one has to disable protection for the DB app to use Files. Makes no sense.

JustinJ
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Sorry, neglected to attach the screenshot from Files app.IMG_0652.png

kymatica
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@CC_JF

I had the same problem (I'm the developer of AudioShare), however I already had only Import and ExportToService types in my Document Picker's Info.plist.

Instead I had to implement a new File Provider extension, and this kind of works now. The user can interact with all my documents as expected in the Files app. However, I still get the same behavior when trying to import into an app! (no URLs passed, doc picker cancelled). Any special magic you had to do? Please let me know! (mail me at info kymatica com if this is too off topic here)

domhof
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Maple @CC_JF @kymatica

Thanks for your help! I can confirm that in iOS 11 UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController only works when a NSFileProviderExtension is present (at least I didn't find any other way, even with only UIDocumentPickerModeImport).

Moreover the Files app seems to ignore my UIDocumentPickerModes setting in the UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController's Info.plist! Even if I remove the setting completly, the Files app still shows my UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController. While at the same time, e.g. in Whatsapp the UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController, correctly, doesn't show up anymore. The Files app then opens it in UIDocumentPickerModeOpen mode. I can even load and edit (!) the files (photos).

I need to find a way to keep the Files app from opening my UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController in open-mode despite the mode being not supported. The files may not be edited. Alternatively the edited version should be stored as a new file.

I think this might even be the root cause of the problem. That the Files App always opens the UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController in open-mode and therefore a FileProvider is needed, even the Info.plist states only import as supported mode.

@kymatica I'll write you via mail. I guess this now goes into too much detail for this forum. 🙂

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi JustinJ,

Please see this thread about passcode incompatibility: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Mobile/ios-11-files-not-open/m-p/243316#M239

The team is investigating a solution for this.

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

domhof
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Maple @CC_JF @kymatica

Thanks for your help! I can confirm that in iOS 11 UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController only works when a NSFileProviderExtension is present (at least I didn't find any other way, even with only UIDocumentPickerModeImport).

Moreover the Files app seems to ignore my UIDocumentPickerModes setting in the UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController's Info.plist! Even if I remove the setting completly, the Files app still shows my UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController. While at the same time, e.g. in Whatsapp the UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController, correctly, doesn't show up anymore. The Files app then opens it in UIDocumentPickerModeOpen mode. I can even load and edit (!) the files (photos).

I need to find a way to keep the Files app from opening my UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController in open-mode despite the mode being not supported. The files may not be edited. Alternatively the edited version should be stored as a new file.

@kymatica I'll write you via mail. I guess this now goes into too much detail for this forum. 🙂

kymatica
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@domhof wrote:

@Maple @CC_JF @kymatica

@kymatica I'll write you via mail. I guess this now goes into too much detail for this forum. 🙂

Please do! 🙂 I see the same thing, Files app always opens the doc picker in Open mode, despite the settings in Info.plist.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kymatica New member | Level 2
    domhof Explorer | Level 3
    Maple Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?