cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iPad 3 can't see Dropbox app

iPad 3 can't see Dropbox app

Stratentast
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Dropboxers

Just bought a used iPad 3, which doesn't run OS higher than 9.3.
— all other app let me download versions for older OS in the App Store, but not the Dropbox app? — which mean I cannot run Dropbox on my iPad.

I tried deleting the Dropbox app to see if a reinstall helps, but the device doesn't register the Dropbox at all — not on any screen or folders. Not even under General>iCloud Storage etc.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stratentast
Helpful | Level 6

Hi walter

Found a solution — and it is very simple:
The first time you access your files through a browser, the browser asks you, if you want to access your files through Dropbox instead.
When you click "yes", the browser redirects you to the App store, and — for some reason — the App Store suggests an older version af the Dropbox App, when you access App Store this way.

Voila — you have the Dropbox App running on an outdated iPad.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Stratentast, how are you today?

Sorry to be the bad news' bearer here but as your device isn't meeting our minimum requirements, you won't be able to update to (or run) our most recent version of the mobile app. Specifically, for iOS devices, you'll need to be on iOS (operating system) 10 or later. 

I hope this information clears things up and please let me know if you have any more questions. 

PS: You should still be able to access your account online through a web session at: https://www.dropbox.com

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Stratentast
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walther

Thank you fot your quick answer.

I am aware of the conflict using iPads using older OS than 10.0.
— but every other app in the app-store automatically suggest older versions, except for Dropbox — which is surprising.

Web sessions work, but are no where as slick as just using the app IMHO.

This is unfortunate, as Dropbox is an absolute cornerstone in so many different work flows.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thank you for your input on this @Stratentast - I'll make sure to let the team know about it.

If there's anything else I can assist with in the meantime, please let me know and I'll be happy to follow up. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Rich
Super User II

@Stratentast wrote:

but every other app in the app-store automatically suggest older versions, except for Dropbox — which is surprising.

Dropbox doesn't control this, Apple does, so you might try contacting them. Before you do, though, know that the older versions of an app are only available if you've previously purchased/downloaded it. That's also something that's controlled by Apple.

Stratentast
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter

Thanks!

No, funny thing about Dropbox is, there really aren't any questions in regular use.
I've used Dropbox from the very beginning, and never had any problems/issues.

Now it is a cornestone for me in every thing digital, and it would be nice to have it runniing on all devices.

Good day.

Stratentast
Helpful | Level 6

Hi walter

Found a solution — and it is very simple:
The first time you access your files through a browser, the browser asks you, if you want to access your files through Dropbox instead.
When you click "yes", the browser redirects you to the App store, and — for some reason — the App Store suggests an older version af the Dropbox App, when you access App Store this way.

Voila — you have the Dropbox App running on an outdated iPad.

Mark
Super User II

@Stratentast - good workaround! BUT its worth noting that it probably wont work for long. Dropbox have, and do, block versions of the software working with the servers.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

LGH
Explorer | Level 3

This is really customer-unfriendly. Do you honestly expect casual users (who nonetheless subscribe to Dropbox service) to buy a new iPad just to access this one service when there are so many others available?

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Need more support?