cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone iOS 11 auto-lock (display) problem with Dropbox

iPhone iOS 11 auto-lock (display) problem with Dropbox

pdx_user
Explorer | Level 4

Since Apple updated its system to 11, auto-lock (the turning off of the display when not in use and locking the device) has stopped working. If I have a page open, walk away from the device (in this case, a brand new iPhone SE) and come back in an hour, the page is still lit just waiting for me! Apple engineers got back to me and said it’s up to 3rd party software such as Dropbox to update their app to work with the new system. I probably need to send this to Dropbox support but I thought I’d see if anyone else was having this issue first. And if they solved it. Anyone???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: iPhone iOS 11 auto-lock (display) problem with Dropbox

Maple
Dropboxer
Hi pdx_user,

I just remembered, I actually added this feature this summer (to keep screen on when file is open) after users requested this. Adding an override in settings sounds like a good idea. I will file a task for this and see if we can get this in. Thanks for writing in.

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Maple
Dropboxer
We disable the ability for your device to turn the screen off/lock after a set timer on purpose in some situations, like if you have a file open, so the phone doesn't lock on you while you are reading. Other situations include when files are uploading in Camera Uploads, or downloading for Offline Files/Folders. In low battery situations, this may not occur.

As far as I'm aware this is an old feature and not new to iOS11. Please let me know if auto lock is failing even if you don't have a file open and your device is not syncing offline files/folders and camera uploads.

iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

pdx_user
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Maple - Thank you for the reply. Disabling the screen off/lock does seem like a new feature since I’ve updated to iOS 11. I’ve never before had a recipe, for example, stay open for hours! It feels new, anyway. That said, I just tested and it works as you say it should: screen off disabled when a file is open; not disabled when no file is open, such as looking at a list of files. I guess I just need to remember to either turn the phone off or close whatever file I’m looking at. I would prefer the screen goes off after a certain amount of time if I haven’t been active with the file but I guess you haven’t programmed it that way. Is there by chance a setting to override the disabled screen off/lock?

Rich
Super User II

pdx_user wrote:

Is there by chance a setting to override the disabled screen off/lock?

No, there isn't.

Maple
Dropboxer
Hi pdx_user,

I just remembered, I actually added this feature this summer (to keep screen on when file is open) after users requested this. Adding an override in settings sounds like a good idea. I will file a task for this and see if we can get this in. Thanks for writing in.

iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

pdx_user
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you, Maple!!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

pdx_user Explorer | Level 4
    Maple Dropboxer
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?