cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install and synchronization of dropbox on my laptop

install and synchronization of dropbox on my laptop

traveldaypack
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, 

Since 2 days i am trying to install dropbox on my laptop with windows 10.

I have a business account with more than 3TB data on my online dropbox. 

On my laptop I have only 500GB space. 

I put my settings as follows: 

Settings.png

Initially, the download on my explorer works well and I can see the clouds sign on several folders and also the round blue sign with the moving arrow to show that the integration is on work. but then suddenly dropbox seems to "crash" and no data is synchronized anymore. When I restart my computer, it takes very long (between 10-30 minutes) for the dropbox to move from the "starting" mode to synchronize. But then even if the settings just shown stay the same, in the desktop app all files are set on "local". 

einstellung dropbox desktop.png

And all signs on my folders are gone.  I also cannot find the smartsync by clicking the right mouse button in the explorer on the files anymore. 

darstellung im explorer.png

Does anyone have an idea, what the problem might be? 

I would be so greatful! Because until now I really loved and enjoyed working with dropbox from all my computers. 

traveldaypack

7 Replies 7

Re: install and synchronization of dropbox on my laptop

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @traveldaypack, let's see what we can do here. 

Since you did a fresh installation of the desktop app, could you let me know how many files and folders you have in your Dropbox folder?

You should be able to see that by right-clicking on the Dropbox folder and selecting Properties

Could you also hover over the Dropbox icon on your system tray and let me know what it currently reads?

Give me a nudge whenever you have a moment to look into this, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

traveldaypack
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil

it looks like this: 

properties.png

I still cannot see the smartsync botton, when I right click on the different folders in the dropbox folder on explorer. 

If I look into the folders most of them are still empty

at the moment not cloud sign (for online storage) and not green arrow (for local). 

Lusil
Dropboxer

Since the performance of the desktop app generally declines if you have more than 300,000 files, you could reduce the amount of items you have in your Dropbox folder by selectively syncing folders.

Give that a try and let me know if you see any improvement.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

traveldaypack
Explorer | Level 3

ok, I will give it a try, but if I select e.g. folder a-d and afterwards change to selceted sync of folder e-g, will folder a-d "disappear" in my explorer file?

Lusil
Dropboxer

When you selectively sync a folder, it will be removed from your File Explorer and the desktop app, but still be available in your account. 

So, for example, if you selectively sync folders starting with A-D, they will be removed. That way, the list will begin with items that start with E (excluding numbered folders). 

You can sync it back at any point in time though. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

traveldaypack
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil

I have deselected the folders I do not want to be synchronized. Somehow those folders still can be seen on my explorer. The desktop app is "saying synchronizing"... all the time, but nothing seems to happen. I can see the different files (e.g. word documents) on my explorer, but if I click on them, it says that the file cannot be opened as it is not local. 

Lusil
Dropboxer

Could you also try following these steps for Windows (OS) and see if they do the trick?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?