cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install/uninstall Dropbox and now shortcuts are broken

install/uninstall Dropbox and now shortcuts are broken

BranSpran
Explorer | Level 3

First of all, I am unlearned on dropbox and dont work with computers often. I downloaded the dropbox app onto my Windows 10 desktop computer. One of the options was to sync the files so I did not knowing what it meant or the consequences. I tried to change the sync mode and uninstalled it from my computer. Now all the shortcuts on the desk top wont work. Is there anyway to restore the shortcuts that were working on my desktop before I messed with this program?

6 Replies 6

Re: install/uninstall Dropbox and now shortcuts are broken

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @BranSpran; welcome to the Dropbox Communty!

Based on your descirption, it sounds like you enabled our new computer backup feature upon installing our desktop app. Is that correct? 

In that case, I'd recommend checking the dedicated Help Center article for more information:

Let me know if you have any follow up questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

I deleted my Dropbox-Account which was synched with my Desktop and now all Desktop files are gone

anita L82
New member | Level 2

Help! I deleted my dropbox account which I had registered just 10 minutes before that and which had synched with my desktop. Because my dropbox informed me that my storage limit was exhausted and I didn't have the time to figure out how to undo the synch process, I decided to delete my new account and created a new one. But know all the files that I had saved on my desktop are gone. What can I do? Is there any chance I can retrieve the lost data?

Re: I deleted my Dropbox-Account which was synched with my Desktop and now all Desktop files are gon

BranSpran
Explorer | Level 3

I had something similar happen to me. I synced my files and desktop with Dropbox and then uninstalled the Dropbox App. Now I can not access any shortcut on my desktop and I can not move them or change them in anyway. I am intrested in whay they tell you.

BranSpran
Explorer | Level 3

I am honestly unsure.

BranSpran
Explorer | Level 3

I have turned off the "back up" option and you were partially correct. When I turned that option off it restored only half of the shortcuts on my desk top but it gave me a message that there was some content on drop box and I do not know how to get it back. Do you have any more suggestions?

Re: I deleted my Dropbox-Account which was synched with my Desktop and now all Desktop files are ...

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there peeps, I'm sorry to hear about the the situations!

Since you deleted your account while the app was still connected @anita L82, there might not be much we can do to assist you restoring the files as they would have been deleted along with the account.

I'd suggest checking in your Trash/Recycling bin on your computer to see if the files can be restored from there. If not, you can reach out to our Support team to see if there is anything they could do to help further by submitting a ticket from here.

It sounds like you're having a different issue though @BranSpran. It seems that you enabled the computer backup feature from the desktop app.

Since you've uninstalled the Dropbox app, this should have disabled the backup and you should be able to move the files out of the Dropbox folder on your computer back to their original locations.

Can you let me know if you're getting an error when trying to do this? If so, please send me a screenshot of that.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?