cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ios Files App How to delete downloaded files

ios Files App How to delete downloaded files

FilmCompos3r
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I donwloaded a few videos for offline viewing from the new iOS 11 files app with the new Dropbox integration.

I cannot, howver, figure out how to remove the files from local storage. I don't want to delete the files from Dropbox, merely remove the files I've downloaded from the cloud to free up more space.

I checked in the Dropbox App to see if the files were listed in offline files there, but no go. 

Help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I've spent a bit of time playing with the Files app since last post (and also on there 'help' section). Neither gives much away. I also cannot find anything for Files in the Settings menus.

Unfortunately as the files are now 'outside' of the Dropbox system Dropbox cannot do anything about it. Maybe worth starting a similar thread at apple.com/support

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
If they're not marked as Available Offline, then Dropbox would have downloaded them to its cache. There's a Clear Cache button in Settings but it's been mostly useless since it was introduced. Dropbox will clear its own cache periodically. The only way to force it (outside of the useless button) is to uninstall and reinstall the app. Just know that any files marked as Available Offline will need to be marked as such again.

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi FilmCompos3r,

When you 'Save to Files' or 'Save Image/Video' from Files app, the contents are no longer managed by Dropbox. 'Save Image/Video' saves to your Photos app, and you can delete it from there. Note that when you delete the file, it gets moved to the Recently Deleted album and you'll have to clear that to get the space back.

To use Dropbox for offline access, use the Dropbox iOS app's Offline feature. This will download to Dropbox's local storage.

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

ThomasRocks
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
This is wrong, I just tried it. If you delete it from the files app it will delete from drop box. How do we undownload the files from files app (downloaded by clicking the little cloud) without deleting the files

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It isnt wrong.

Until you tapped on the file in the Files List it was not downloaded to your device. You tapping on the file caused it to download. Deleting it from that list deletes from Dropbox.

If you have downloaded files and need to delete these downloaded you need to do as Rich said and clear the cache.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ThomasRocks
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I replied to maple and that is wrong. It still does not do what I was suggesting to clear the cache, the files are still downloaded in the files app, they do no appear as available offline in Dropbox and if I “delete” them from the files app it also removes them from drop box. There needs to be a way to simply take them off of local storage but have them remain on Dropbox.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Because Maple is actually talking about saving files outside of the Dropbox app - and putting them in to the iOS ecosystem, not, Dropbox. Hence the availability of way to recover deleted files on the device.

The only way to clear the cache is how explained, or, if that isnt working following Rich's advice.

If it isnt working I'd be tempted to log a ticket at www.dropbox.com/support and explain whats happening with examples and your version of iOS/Dropbox etc.

You can then track it at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

ThomasRocks
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
This is where the issue is, and I’m not even saying it’s a Dropbox issue. In the new iOS Files App, I downloaded the files, theoretically they should now be a part of the Apple ecosystem and deleting them shouldn’t remove them from Dropbox, but that is not the case. Where they are locally stored I am unsure but it is not through the Dropbox app. I currently have no way to remove the files from local storage (through the iOS files app) that doesn’t delete the files from Dropbox. I simply want to remove the files being stored locally through the files app and still have access to them if I choose to download them to my device again.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It would have really helped if you had said that at the start....

If I'm honest I've no idea how the local Files Feature works - as I wont turn it on because it only works when you've no security on the Dropbox app.

I'm not sure it does take up space locally, or, if it actually works the same as iOS and iCloud in that it will only download things if connected to the net. I suppose you could easily test that by going in to Airplane mode and seeing if things were accessible that you'd never opened before. It makes sense that it works this way as my Dropbox is too large to fit on my iPhone

ThomasRocks
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
That’s what the OP’s question was about, the files app... this is why “Files” is a stupid name for an app.

I’m not worried about the files I have yet to download, I want to remove the ones I have. Hopefully Apple/Dropbox can address this issue soon.
Need more support?