cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[linux] When GUI is started, cannot type anything from keyboard or shown characters are wrong

[linux] When GUI is started, cannot type anything from keyboard or shown characters are wrong

dma_k
Helpful | Level 5

Dear all,

I have installed dropbox_2015.02.12_i386.deb on Debian jessie. When I start Dropbox via "dropbox start", the dialog appears inviting to type username and password. I cannot type anything there: some keys are not typed at all, and some produce wrong character. E.g. when I type "b" it shows "s". The only way I can enter anything is to copy the text via clipboard.

The same applies settings dialog (opened after dropbox is started).

I have no such problem with any other X application (including those running under wine). I don't have any other QT application installed to check (and I don't have system-wide libqt* libraries installed). Could something go wrong with QT settings?

11 Replies 11

Re: [linux] When GUI is started, cannot type anything from keyboard or shown characters are wrong

Ed
Dropboxer

Hi there

Sorry for the delayed response - are you still having issues?

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: [linux] When GUI is started, cannot type anything from keyboard or shown characters are wrong

dma_k
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for looking into it. Yes, the problem is still there. It was present in previous versions as well, but I have reported it for latest one I downloaded from the site (3.4.6). Dropbox is the only application that has this problem. XTerm works fine, CopyCloud works fine, Wine works fine. More over Dropbox UI (in system tray) sometime exits without showing any error. Logs in .dropbox/logs are binary. How to view them?

dma_k
Helpful | Level 5

I have installed newer version of Dropbox (2015.02.12) and I have the same problems.

More over Ctrl-V does not work, so I cannot paste the email/password from clipboard. Also middleclick does not work.

It seems that keyboard mapping is totally wrong. Any chance to paste the text using mouse (no context menu on right click)?

dma_k
Helpful | Level 5

I have found the issues which are the same like I have. The problem seems to be related to TightVNC server, which does not have xkb extension support.

I have tried to

export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1

but that does not help. Perhaps the tweak does not work because Dropbox UI is Qt-based, and not Gnome-based.

Any advice?

lukasz s.2
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem, I check on different versions of Debian, for example 6 and 8.
I am running Xfce on both systems.
The problem is only with Dropbox app, other applications are working properly.
Any advice?

dma_k
Helpful | Level 5

I have not investigated further, but the problem is somehow related to XKB extension presence on X server. What X server do you use, lukasz?

Here is another related post: Part of the keyboard is not functional when working with vncserver without XKEYBOARD support

Jon g.13
New member | Level 1

I have the same issue. Has anyone solved it?

dma_k
Helpful | Level 5

Jon g, tell us what is your environment (Linux distro, X Server, window manager ...)?

Jon g.13
New member | Level 1

The distro is Ubuntu 16.04, and I'm connecting through a vncserver sesion with tighvnc..
I have installed the preconpiled deb package.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jon g.13 New member | Level 1
    dma_k Helpful | Level 5
    lukasz s.2 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?