cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox: don't interfere with my MacOS sidebar!!

Re: macOS Finder sidebar: remove Dropbox icon permanently

Walter
Dropboxer
No biggie @naii - you've got :envelope: 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dropbox keeps adding itself back to my Mac Finder Sidebar Favourites on every restart

Sii
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, I'm at a complete loss as to how to REMOVE the Dropbox icon from the Mac Finder sidebar Favourites whenever I launch Dropbox (or restart my computer).  This has happened since version 131.4.3968.

How to reproduce issue:

1.) Right-click "Dropbox" in the Favourites and select "Remove from Sidebar"

2.) Quit Dropbox

3.) Open Dropbox

Dropbox icon APPEARS AT THE TOP OF THE SIDEBAR AGAIN with no respect for user's own preference.  🤯

This happens if I replace step 1. with move Dropbox icon to another location in the Favourites.  Dropbox always recreates itself to be the very top menu item under Favourites, so it appears on the top of every window.  This is user-hostile and does not reflect a customer-friendly design.

Please revert back to the older behaviour in version 130!

Thank you

Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 00.28.05.png

naii
Helpful | Level 6

Unfortunately, the problem re-appeared.

It worked for 9 days.

(I’ll now document what happened in the meantime, so other folks with the same problem might benefit from the potential solution, too).

___

I received support from @Walter via email where we did the following:

1. We identified the computer I was having trouble with
  2. I then unchecked the box next to "Include me in early releases" under www.Dropbox.com › click on account picture/avatar › "Settings" › "General" tab › scroll down to the section titled "Preferences"  +++ After that I re-downloaded the Dropbox, installed it again, and it worked.

The problem was (according to Dropbox Support):

"It appears that you are running a beta (or experimental) build of the Dropbox desktop application. As beta builds are still in the testing process, you could experience some issues or an inconsistent experience."

___

For some reason, this solution only lasted 9 days, which makes it only a temporary solution.

___

In other threads on the internets, the problem was expressed as well, here…

macos - Remove dropbox icon from Finder toolbar - Ask Different:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/165030/remove-dropbox-icon-from-finder-toolbar

How to get rid of re-appearing Dropbox Finder Toolbar button?
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/144575/how-to-get-rid-of-re-appearing-dropbox-finder-toolb...

This behavior is indeed annoying, and I’d rather spend my Saturday morning with something I enjoy doing, and not fixing/trying to buggy software 😞

Please help 🙏

Re: Dropbox keeps adding itself back to my Mac Finder Sidebar Favourites on every restart

Miklos P.1
Helpful | Level 6

Same issue here. Whether removing it or moving it to another spot on the Finder window Sidebar, Dropbox keeps moving the Dropbox icon to the top of the sidebar after every restart. This is very annoying and doesn't respect Apple's guidelines nor user preferences.

Sii
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks @naii for sharing, I'm afraid I'm not on early release so not sure why the behaviour has changed...  buggy software!  I'm on "Smart Sync update for Mac" though wondering if that makes a difference?!

naii
Helpful | Level 6

@Sii 

@Sii wrote:

Thanks @naii for sharing, I'm afraid I'm not on early release so not sure why the behaviour has changed...  buggy software!  I'm on "Smart Sync update for Mac" though wondering if that makes a difference?!

Just so there’s no misunderstanding… I unchecked the box that says "Include me in early releases" - unchecking the box solved the problem (at least for 9 days).

Re: Dropbox keeps adding itself back to my Mac Finder Sidebar Favourites on every restart

karpinski
Helpful | Level 5

I am also having it go back to the top of the finder sidebar every time my computer is restarted. I move it down, it moves itself back

jan30
New member | Level 2

It happened to me. Really annoying. I tried to re-order my favorites for Dropbox but not working. 

galdreia
Explorer | Level 4

Hi all,

I have the same problem as well, appearing always first in the favourites sidebar even though I delete it or re-order it to lower position. I uninstalled and re-installed dropbox and it persists. I had already unchecked the box to include me in early releases so I was not and do not run a beta version.

Re: Dropbox: don't interfere with my MacOS sidebar!!

terra1983
Collaborator | Level 8

A ridiculously frustrating daily routine:

Sep-20-2021 11-40-44.gif

Dropbox, please don't do this.

Need more support?