cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

macOS change location from ~/Dropbox to /usr/local/Dropbox

macOS change location from ~/Dropbox to /usr/local/Dropbox

Yegolev
Explorer | Level 3

I want to move Dropbox from the default location on Big Sur. I think a great place for it would be /usr/local/Dropbox but I can't see how to do this from the UI.

Really I just need it out of $HOME so various searches don't trigger Smart Sync to download the entire online datastore. I don't think I want to put it in /Applications, or /Library, or similar.

4 Replies 4

Re: macOS change location from ~/Dropbox to /usr/local/Dropbox

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Yegolev, welcome to the Dropbox Community and happy Friday!

Have you tried the steps in this article on how to move the Dropbox folder to a different location?

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Yegolev
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, of course I have, but I admit that I didn't describe that in detail.

I know where the location is in the UI to change where the Dropbox directory is, but if you have a Mac then you can see for yourself that there isn't any place to choose a location that doesn't appear in the picker panel. In particular, the location I want isn't there or isn't easy to see.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Yegolev, you'll only be able to select the locations that the Mac app allows you to for permissions and security purposes.

While is it technically possible to store it in the System folder when you choose 'Other', it isn't recommended.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Yegolev
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Jay. I hear you about the System directory, I wanted to avoid something like that but would really enjoy putting Dropbox somewhere other than $HOME.

I keep the usual things in /usr/local: Homebrew things in particular, as well as my Terraform binaries. So, it seems a natural place to put the Dropbox directory.

Any tips on relocating Dropbox to someplace that isn't /Users/<myname> are welcome.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Yegolev Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?