cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

merging work and personal accounts (?)

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have a personal dropbox account I've had a while but have used rarely. Starting an online business, I decided to use the "work dropbox" option and kept getting an error message. However, somehow,  work dropbox apparently was created, since I received an email about it. Still, online and on my computer, there was no indication that any such thing existed.

I read one response here suggesting trying a different browser, so I did. On Safari (I'd been using Chrome), I managed to create the work dropbox by converting my old one to it. (What the heck? As I said I rarely used it.) But when I went back to chrome and logged into dropbox, I went to my old personal box! I am thoroughly lost here. I don't even know what dropboxes I have. I must have somehow created the original Chrome work box, for Safari refused to allow me to use my work email. (What do I do about that?) But I have no clue where it is or how to access it. And now I seem to have BOTH a personal and a work box, but dropbox.com brings me to the personal one and again the work one is MIA. 

HELP!

karen57

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: merging work and personal accounts (?)

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Karen

Sorry to hear that - can you go to dropbox.com/account and check whether you see "work" and "personal" and then which email is associated with them? If your old email is now associated with the work account, then you converted the old 'personal' account into 'work'.

This article explains it in detail: https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/pair-accounts-all-devices

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

(I have no clue why but coming back in here it made me re-register!)

Anyway...

Thank you. Yes, that is one question answered. My old personal account appears to be by work account now. But the mystery remains: it still says my work email is in use. Where????

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
try recovering access to it from: https://www.dropbox.com/forgot - you should then be able to log on that account!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

OK, that worked!

Now...how do I...

1. convert the other one BACK to a personal site?
  2. merge these two?

Thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Karen,

I'm an engineer here at Dropbox, sorry for your trouble!

It sounds like you have a work email account where you've recovered access, and a personal email account that you've turned into a free work account, and now you want to pair the two.

Looking to convert your personal email's free work account back into a personal account? You'll need to log onto the Dropbox website with your personal email. Then, go to the Admin Console using the navigation bar on your left. You should see an option to "Delete team". This will convert your account back into a personal account. Don't worry, all your files will still be safe.

After you've turned your personal email back into a personal account, you're ready to pair your accounts. You'll now need to log onto Dropbox with your work email. From the bottom of the navigation bar, select "Add a free work Dropbox", and the instructions should continue from there!

Hope this helps!  -Edward

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?