cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

messed up desktop

Retroagate
New member | Level 2

I installed drop boxbox to share files from my laptop to my tablet. I downloaded the app and it messed up my desktop. I did not want my desktop in my dropbox or linked to it. it wouldn't allow me to delete the file etc or remove my desktop parts from my dropbox so i ended up deleting the whole dropbox to try and fix the desktop. Unfortunately it has also deleted all my documents and photo effectively a years worth of uni work and desktop is still messed up with two desktop folders and missing documents and downloads folder. 

is there anyway to recover the work? i tried restore but there isn't a restore point that has the work 

1 Reply 1

Re: messed up desktop

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Retroagate, thanks for reaching out. 

I'm sorry to hear you have lost your files. It sounds like you enabled the computer backup service on your Dropbox application, which backs up your desktop files to Dropbox. 

Do you happen to know if the files got a chance to sync to your Dropbox before you deleted them?

If they did, you should be able to find them in your deleted files page. 

Can you also check your computer's Recycle bin/Trash to see if the files are there?

Let me know what you find.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?