cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrated from and old imac tro a new imac. New imac dropbox program wants me to upgrade.

migrated from and old imac tro a new imac. New imac dropbox program wants me to upgrade.

Slowjohn
Explorer | Level 4

After I migrated from my old imac to the new one, I tried to get my dropbox (old) account to open.  I though I was logging on to the old one, but apparently created a new dropbox.  A consultant I was using suggested migrating into this new dropbox.   I migrated 5 gigs and dropbox said, you have to add two TB to keep using db.  And it would delete the files in the new DB all over my computer if I deleted them from the new DB. So, how do I merge the new and old DB into a single new one that contains both the data from the old and new DBs, and becomes active when new files arew added (I bought the 2TB of space in the old DB account.  Help!

3 Replies 3

Re: migrated from and old imac tro a new imac. New imac dropbox program wants me to upgrade.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Slowjohn, thanks for reaching out to us here!

We wouldn't be able to merge the two Dropbox accounts to update the new one you created with the subscription you had previously I'm afraid. We'll need to look at a different method here to get your old account on the new computer.

Firstly, can you let me know if you remember the credentials for the upgraded Dropbox account? If you don't remember the email address for the account, you can use our lookup tool here to use the billing info to find the correct email for your Dropbox account.

Once we can make sure that you can access the correct account, we can simply sign into that account instead on the new computer and add in the new files there.

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: migrated from and old imac tro a new imac. New imac dropbox program wants me to upgrade.

Slowjohn
Explorer | Level 4

actually, I'd like to get rid of the new  account on the new computer, and make the old account the active one - that is, where I save my files and look up old ones, and the account that comes up when I click on the dropbox icon.

I can access the old account under the name Dropbox (old) on the new computer.  So, how would I make that (dropbox (old) (which as 2 TB of memory) the active one?  I have other copies of the files currently in the new dropbox.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Slowjohn!

In this case, I'd suggest unlinking the new account that is currently connected to your desktop app. You can do this by:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Account" tab.
  5. Choose "Unlink" to disconnect the new account

Once you've unlinked the new account, I would suggest deleting the Dropbox folder that it created (not "Dropbox (Old)). Then, you can sign back into the desktop app with the old account credentials.

The app will create a new Dropbox folder to sync to, so if you have a lot of data in the account you can pause syncing and move the files that you have in the Dropbox (Old) folder to the new Dropbox folder.

Then, you can resume sync and the app will just index and cross check the files in the account rather than needing to sync then fully again.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?