cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migration from old to new Mac

Highlighted

migration from old to new Mac

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I just migrated everything from my old MacBook to my new MacBook and everything works except Dropbox.

I can see my files in dropbox on my new Mac but when I want to access them I am brought to the website where I am told to login, which I try to do, but I am forced to open a new account which is nonsense of course.

After a few tries to go straight to my dropbox online, I can login and see my folders but I am not allowed to access them: no permission.

I am stuck.

Everything I have is the most recent, up-to-date

Robert

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: migration from old to new Mac

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil

Somehow it solved itself. I could simply log in after all, but it took three tries.

I transferred ALL contents from my old MacBook Pro to my new MacBook Air with the Migration Assistant.app.

It's a 100% carbon copy. Nothing manual. It takes a while, but it works perfectly...except with two other apps and with Dropbox.

But, it's fine now.

Txs

Robert

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @chaver4u, let's see what we can find on this together. 

I'll just need a few more details to make sure that we're on the same page. For example:

• When you mention that you migrated your files to your new device, do you mean that you manually copied them or that you installed the desktop app?
  • If you installed the desktop app, did you successfully sign in? 
  • Are you entering the credentials associated with your account when you try to log in via the website? 
  • Could you send me a screenshot of the error messages you come across? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil

Somehow it solved itself. I could simply log in after all, but it took three tries.

I transferred ALL contents from my old MacBook Pro to my new MacBook Air with the Migration Assistant.app.

It's a 100% carbon copy. Nothing manual. It takes a while, but it works perfectly...except with two other apps and with Dropbox.

But, it's fine now.

Txs

Robert

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift reply, @chaver4u, and I'm glad to hear that all seems to be working as expected! 

If you have any other questions in the future, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?