cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moved Dropbox folder and want to delete previous sync folder

moved Dropbox folder and want to delete previous sync folder

mvinassa
Explorer | Level 3

i moved my dropbox folder to another disc using the following link

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder

now the sync works fine with the new adress, but I need to delete the previous disc sync folder to free space. I tried deleting some files from the old folder and they remains on the new one (is what I want). Can i do that safetly for the entire folder?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: moved dropbox folder and want to delete previous sync folder

Lusil
Dropboxer

You're right, selective sync can affect how much your Dropbox folder takes up on your computer, but so can Smart Sync, since both are space-saving features for your computer. 

If you want to see how much storage your Dropbox account has left, you can always navigate to the Plan tab on the website for a more detailed overview. 

Also, if you delete the folder that's not syncing to your Dropbox account (which, from what I understand, should be the old one), you'll be removing the files that are stored locally, freeing up space on your hard drive. 

I hope this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @mvinassa, welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

What you can do to double-check which folder is syncing to your account is by seeing if the files you deleted from your old Dropbox folder are still on the website.

Also, you can have a look at the path/location your Dropbox desktop app shows to have the Dropbox folder in, by:

1. Clicking on the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock. 
  2. Selecting the gear icon on the top right corner of the menu. 
  3. Choosing Preferences...
  4. Going to the Sync tab.
  5. You can find the path under Dropbox folder location. 

If you find that the files are still on the website and the location of the Dropbox folder shown in your desktop app's settings is the new one, you can go ahead and delete the old Dropbox folder.  

Let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions - thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mvinassa
Explorer | Level 3

thanks lusil....

yeah..i checked that, and yes....it is ok.

Why size ans size in disk are different? is that because of selective sync?
if i delete the folder, will i delete only files on my disc, defined as size in disk, i want to believe.

Lusil
Dropboxer

You're right, selective sync can affect how much your Dropbox folder takes up on your computer, but so can Smart Sync, since both are space-saving features for your computer. 

If you want to see how much storage your Dropbox account has left, you can always navigate to the Plan tab on the website for a more detailed overview. 

Also, if you delete the folder that's not syncing to your Dropbox account (which, from what I understand, should be the old one), you'll be removing the files that are stored locally, freeing up space on your hard drive. 

I hope this helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

mvinassa
Explorer | Level 3

@Lusil awesome, I will try this weekend (in case I have to restore everything) and I[ll let you know. I think it will work fine. Thanks!

Lusil
Dropboxer

No worries, @mvinassa! Let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions in the meantime. :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?