cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opening a password protected spreadsheet on my Android

opening a password protected spreadsheet on my Android

Mels3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

An excel file (.docx) was shared with me through dropbox.  I WAS able to open it on my android phone.  Then, we decided to have it password protected, so the owner added a password.  Now, I can't open it on my android.  In fact, when I try to open it, it crashes the Dropbox app.  I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and the problem persists. What do I do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Generally, Office files with passwords won't open via Dropbox, due to the security on the file itself. 

Can you try exporting the file directly to Word or Excel to see if this helps?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Mels3, I hope you're having a good day so far!

Can you let me know which version of the mobile app you have installed, and the OS version of your device?

Also, can you clarify for me exactly how you're trying to open the file? For example, are you opening it directly from the Dropbox app, and are you exporting the file?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mels3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The version is 202.2.2

My OS version is 10

I've tried opening it from the Dropbox app.  It tries to open it (little blue progress bar along the bottom) and then crashes out of the app.  (by "crashes" I mean the app completely closes and back to my phone's home screen.   I've also tried sharing the link. In that case, when I try to open it on my phone it says "Couldn't load file. Check your internet connection. Try again"  (My internet is connected, and I've tried cycling it on and off and that didn't help).    Then it gives the option to "save to my dropbox", asks me to sign in again, and says "saved" .  But when I try to open it it says, "The file can't be previewed. To open this file, try a computer or another app. "   But there there's a little gray box at the bottom with a pencil in it.  When I click that, It pops up  "Open with..." and my choices are "Word, Docs, Polaris Office, Office Moblie, Send to Zoom Buddies".  I pic Word, since it was made on word in the orignal on a computer.   Then it opens.    BUT, now it's a SAVED version, so I can't see new changes that are made on the original.

Another thing you might need to know is that, everytime I open the app on my phone, it asks me to sign in again and then the my email gets a notice saying "we noticed a new sign in to your Dropbox, is this you".   I get that over and over each time I sign in my phone.  I wonder why it's asking that all the time. ??

I hope all of this information helps you figure out what 's going on. I'm a teacher and I'm teaching virutally and I have so little extra time and I'm getting frustrated that I can't reach the info I need.  I truly appreciate any help or info you can give. 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @Mels3.

Can you let me know if exporting the file causes the app to crash too? You can export by tapping the "..." option when viewing the file and choosing "export" from the menu? 

What about if you make the file available offline before trying to the file?

Also, there should be a new update for your device for Dropbox, can you please check in the Google Play store to see if there are any updates available there.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

pennyspam
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Daphne, it's strange, the three dots don't show up on that file.  They do on some others, but not that one.  Anyway, I tried exporting another file (one that had the three dots) with a password to my email and it still wouldn't open it because it said it couldn't open it since it required a password. Screenshot_20200913-141600_Dropbox.jpg

I attached a screenshot of how it looks on my phone (without the 3 dots).  It's the one at the top called "Cat foodd.docx"  

Also, the app updated 3 days ago and there isn't a new update since then. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @pennyspam, is it possible that the file was deleted or moved, which is why the app can't locate it, meaning there aren't any 3 dots on it. Try navigating to the file directly in the Files tab when you tap the icon on the top left.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

pennyspam
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jay, It wasn't showing in the Files tab either 😞

I just had the owner of the original file unshare and reshare with me - just so we could start "fresh" .  When I opened the Dropbox app (on my phone), it showed up and it had the three dots, but as soon as I click it, it crashes the app and I have to sign in again. 

THEN I had them do all that again, only first, they removed the password off the Word Doc.  This time, I was able to open it without crashing the app.  Then they switched back ON the password and it crashed my app on my phone.   So, without the password, it works just fine, but WITH the password, it crashes the app.  

What can I try next to help you help me figure this out?

BTW - I forgot to mention that we have tried it with BOTH the Word & Excel version of the same document and it's the same result: it works if they remove the password, but NOT if the password is activated on the original. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Generally, Office files with passwords won't open via Dropbox, due to the security on the file itself. 

Can you try exporting the file directly to Word or Excel to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

pennyspam
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes, it works if I export it, but then it's just a copy of the original? is that correct?  Then I can't see changes after they take place, right?

How can we share a password protected file, if not Office?  Any suggestions?  

Because we tried it with Google docs, and it was the same problem. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

pennyspam Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?