cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paperwhite and dropbox

neptune
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am going crazy trying to find out how to use a dropbox to send books to my Kindle Paperwhite. Looks like maybe not possible... Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Walter wrote:

If your device meets our minimum requirements, you could install the Dropbox mobile app on your Kindle device

The mobile apps only are only supported on Kindle Fire devices. The Paperwhite is an e-reader (i.e. not a tablet) and cannot run apps. It can run Active Content which can be thought of as an app, but is very different, and not something that Dropbox supports.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox does not have an app for the Kindle e-readers. Only the Kindle Fire tablets are supported. You'll need to look for a third-party solution, such as IFTT or similar, to accomplish this.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @neptune - sorry to hear about this.

I guess you're referring to the new Kindle Paperwhite 4 - right?

You should be able to access your Dropbox account online (at https://www.dropbox.com) and download the files you need (assuming that the device's OS lets you to begin with)

If your device meets our minimum requirements, you could install the Dropbox mobile app on your Kindle device, by following steps:

1. Navigate to https://www.dropbox.com/kindle using your preferred web browser
  2. Input a phone number where you'd like to receive the link to install the app. Alternatively, you can click on "email me the link" and input your email to receive the link through your email account
  3. Open the link from your Kindle Fire and proceed to install the app. 

Please note that the Dropbox mobile app is not optimized for Kindle devices given the modifications that their OS have on the Android OS. This means that you could experience performance issues or other limitations for which we may not be able to provide support.

Let me know how this goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Walter wrote:

If your device meets our minimum requirements, you could install the Dropbox mobile app on your Kindle device

The mobile apps only are only supported on Kindle Fire devices. The Paperwhite is an e-reader (i.e. not a tablet) and cannot run apps. It can run Active Content which can be thought of as an app, but is very different, and not something that Dropbox supports.

neptune
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sounds like what I was suspecting - Kindle Paperwhite does not do Dropbox. Too bad I didn't klnow before goi g through all the dropbox accoun

@Rich wrote:

@Walter wrote:

t-formation. Oh well - live and learn. Now I'll have to cancel Dropbox and figure out how to stop it from auto-renewal... 

neptune
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sounds like the real answer is that dropbox does not do Kindle Paperwhite. I should have known. What a nuisance.

wekaleng
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I used to be able to do this by navigating to the (old) web version of dropbox and downloading from my Paperwhite's "experimental" browser. Since Dropbox transitioned to dynamic web, I've been unable to -- it doesn't render correctly.

Is there a way we can access a flat HTML version of Dropbox so I can make this happen again?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@wekaleng wrote:

Is there a way we can access a flat HTML version of Dropbox so I can make this happen again?

No.

dosp33
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I canceled my TB plan, too. I have no idea what cloud services earn their money with. They have only made my life worse, by preventing devices from transfering data outside of using clouds more and more. When you could use them, they seem never helpful. Dropbox is another example. The whole thing is a trick in my opinion. Once you get behind it's a trick, you try to avoid clouds at all costs. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dosp33 Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
    wekaleng New member | Level 2
    neptune New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?