cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pausing syncing causes files to be overwritten

pausing syncing causes files to be overwritten

nathanv221
Explorer | Level 3

During scheduled maintnence we have laptops get automaticly signed out. When they sign back in, Dropbox is priortizing the files on the laptop instead of the ones online, thus overwriting more updated files with their older versions. I would like to know how to change that so that it assumes the online version is more up to date when it resumes syncing.

7 Replies 7

Re: pausing syncing causes files to be overwritten

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @nathanv221, I hope you're doing well today!

When the laptops are signed out for the maintenance, is it possible that some of them are still in the process of syncing?

Also, during the maintenance, are people still making changes to the files at this time? If so, would this be from the website or perhaps from another device?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nathanv221
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Thank you for your help.

During the maintence the files are not being updated (it happens at 2am local),  and to the best of my understanding they should no longer be syncing at that point. However, they do not automaticly reconnect after the full restart/windows updates, and often the employees do not notice that they are not syncing at that time, and do not reconnect it imedeatly. It is during that time that the files are edited by other devices (not through the website). I have also just learned that they are using the same user profile on all devices, is it possible that is what's causing the issue?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @nathanv221!

That could indeed be the case, if users are making updates to files when the desktop app isn't connected then this could be the cause of the issue where the most recent file isn't recognised correctly.

Do the computer's have the app set up to start on system start up

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nathanv221
Explorer | Level 3

@Daphine, Thank you!

Yes, they are set to start on system startup. The problem seems to stem from being logged out of Dropbox, so that when it starts it isn't syncing to anything. This is not happening durning regular restarts, but I have been assuming that that is because Windows quick boot doesn't completely shut down the computer the way that an update does.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Just to clarify @nathanv221, are you referring to the app not launching automatically, or that the Dropbox account is unlinked from the desktop app?

Do they need to launch the app for it to sync, or sign back into the Dropbox account?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

nathanv221
Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne, Sorry about the long wait time. Some more pressing tickets came up for a bit there. The dropbox app is becoming unlinked from the account and they have to sign in again.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @nathanv221; I'm sorry to jump in here.

Can you please clarify the exact OS these users are using on their computers?

Is it possible that you (or they) are running the desktop app on a Windows server

On a side note, are you all using individual Dropbox accounts or are any of you part of a team account? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?